Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problem with Stock Feeding on One Side of my Powermatic 208 Planer

Problem with Stock Feeding on One Side of my Powermatic 208 Planer

As the title says...I have a Powermatic 208 20" planer that I have had for several years. 5 or 6 years ago I swapped out the straight cutter head for a Byrd helical head. Up until now I have not had any issues with the planer. About 6 months ago we moved and since I set up my new shop I noticed an issue with the planer. When I feed a board in on the right side the board feeds through without issue. When I feed the same thickness board through on the left side it goes in about 6 inches and stops. With a significant amount of pressure on the back end of the board I can get it to continue through the planner. I checked the infeed roller height from the table on both ends and they are within .001 of each other. I did the same with the pressure bar and it also seems to be parallel based on my dial indicator reading. I haven't really adjusted anything at this point for fear of really screwing things up. I was wondering if anyone had an idea what could be causing this issue?

A couple more things. When the piece of stock starts into the left side and stops...if I lower the feedtable by a 1/8 to 1/4 turn the stock will go through. When it comes out the other end you can see where the cutter head has cut into the end of the stock. See the picture below

I can run a piece of wood through the right hand side and take a serious amount of stock off. Not that I normally do this but I noticed I this side it seems I can take an 1/8" but on the left side the board stops when I am trying to take a 1/6 or less.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Brian
    Attached Images Attached Images

On my PM planer when I have trouble feeding it's because the knives are getting dull. Have you made sure they are sharp?

Try cleaning and waxing the bed first, that usually takes care of feeding issues.

Sounds like the pressure bar, out feed rollers or the out feed bed rollers are out of adjustment. Maybe from your move.

+1 for checking your out feed rollers (top and bottom) since it sounds like you are clearing the cutter. 1/16 to 1/8 inch cuts should never impact you. Grab your manual and re-tune everything because something shifted on you.

+1, tune it up.
    JR

Thanks everyone for the advice. Turned out, after further investigation to be the pressure bar. The planer must have gotten jostled in the move. The pressure bar had moved all the way to one side of the planner. I loosened things up, repositioned it, and tuned the pressure bar, infeed and outfeed rollers... I also rotated the cutters while I was in there. It is running smoothly now. Next I will be cleaning and waxing up the table. Thanks for the help.

Where do I get info/instructions on how to adjust everything. My 20" import planer with Byrd head is doing the same thing.

Thanks in advance!

When you wax your table, we take a maroon scotch brite pad and embed it with wax and buff out the entire table as well as the bed rollers. We keep a can of wax with a scotch brite stuffed in the can for this very purpose. The scotch pad coupled with the wax will help to remove stuck on pitch/resin and helps to embed wax into the table. Then a handful of shavings will buff it off slick. Just the way we do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bolton View Post
    When you wax your table, we take a maroon scotch brite pad and embed it with wax and buff out the entire table as well as the bed rollers. We keep a can of wax with a scotch brite stuffed in the can for this very purpose. The scotch pad coupled with the wax will help to remove stuck on pitch/resin and helps to embed wax into the table. Then a handful of shavings will buff it off slick. Just the way we do it.
    Agreed! I've used more paste wax on cast iron than I have on wood. Great stuff on both! Scotchbrite applicator is the ticket, Maroon to white, never green!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven Wayne View Post
    Where do I get info/instructions on how to adjust everything. My 20" import planer with Byrd head is doing the same thing.

Thanks in advance!
    This thread has been resurrected but, the info is still valuable. If your planer is like many import clones a manual from a Grizzly G0454, G1033 or G0544 could help depending on your machine's format. these are available on their website.

To the original question, if the feed rollers are correct and the behavior is different I would look to surface resistance and or dull knives. Both easily remedied as discussed in the thread.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Fournier View Post
    Agreed! I've used more paste wax on cast iron than I have on wood. Great stuff on both! Scotchbrite applicator is the ticket, Maroon to white, never green!
    Why not green?

We use paraffin wax and #0000 steel wool

Paraffin is interesting. Never tried it. Ive always used Minwax furniture wax. Our finish rep was in the shop a loooong time ago and scolded me about using any form of wax even after a conversation with regards to silicone-free wax but he was adamant that there was no place in the shop for wax (we still use the wax). He swore up and down that baby powder was the best solution for lubricating sliding surfaces. I absolutely despise the smell of baby powder and have no intention of having my shop smell like a diaper factory so never tried it.

We will put a piece of 60 grit paper on the RO occasionally and drop it on top of a 1/2 sheet of maroon scotchbrite with wax and really polish up the sliding surfaces on the planer, saws, and so on. I'll give the steel wool a try for the heck of it. We spray waterborne so I shy away from steel wool for the most part.

I buy paraffin in the canning aisle at the grocery store. Rub it in, buff it off with the steel wool. It seems to last a lot longer than the Johnson's paste wax. It's not as slippery initially though.

Baby powder? Seems useless to me.

3M sells scotch pads with the hook and loop on one face in 5". I use those door cleaning up cast. They also work well for polishing up a jig when you want it real slippery. Cook paraffin wax into the surface with a heat gun, and buff it with those scotch pads in an orbital sander

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Wasner View Post
    Baby powder? Seems useless to me.
    That was my immediate response but he looked right at me and said "no... Im serious".

I tend to do the same thing with the scotchbrite and wax, get it good and hot/worked into the surface. Never tried Johnsons but I have a bunch of paraffin from our canning days. Will give it a go. Its definitely a lot harder than any of the paste/furniture waxes so it makes sense that it would hold on longer.