Thread: Spraying BM Advance or Satin Impervo

Spraying BM Advance or Satin Impervo

Anyone here spraying either of these products? If so, what gun type are you using? These products have a pretty high viscosity (98 and 95 KU's) and I'm trying to determine if I could spray them with my air assisted (5 psi) HVLP gun and 1.5 mm N/N (I can buy larger N/N's, if required). I've sprayed GF's White Poly but that's only about 100 seconds Ford #4. 98 KU is something like 450 seconds Ford #4.

I have a project coming up where I'd like to spray a vanity and brush/roll the same paint on the walls I'm going to panel. That's what's driving my question. Thanks.

John

I've sprayed the Advance with my Wagner gun; #3 needle and nozzle.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks Jim, but I know nothing about your gun, not even what kind it is. Can you provide more details, link to info, etc.? Thanks.

John

We have never had luck spraying water based impervo or advance with an HVLP. You need to thin it down too much to flow. If you have an airless available both work great. If you end up going by hand I would use a velour roller. If you have small vanity and then the panels I personally think you will get a more consistent finished product going by hand for everything. If you spray the vanity and then cut and roll the paneling you will likely end up with noticeable differences especially if you need to thin the product to push it through an HVLP and I do not think there is a set up you avoid thinning with the HVLP.

For what it's worth, after using both products over several years, advance seems to lay down and even out better. my painters universally prefer advance to impervo. It took me a long time to come around because I perceived advance to be an inferior product but I eventually decided to grasp reality.

Ask your Benjamin Moore dealer about a product called Benjamin Moore Extender. I have used it to thin not only BM Aura, but also PPG Break-Through and even Behr house paint. Depending on the product you're thinning, adding somewhere between 5-10% of this extender usually renders it quite sprayable. Unlike Flotrol, Ben Moore Extender seems to have no affect on the sheen of the paint. I use a pressurized cup under gun with a 1.3mm nozzle. I think its really worth your time to check it out.

http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/f...paint-extender

Thanks Neil and Jack. I really don't want to buy an airless set up, so I think I'll try Jack's recommendation to look at Extender. I once sprayed SW's WB ProClassic (same viscosity as these two products) through a gravity feed 1.8 mm HVLP gun by adding 18% H2O. Definitely not ideal, but it did work. My new pressure assisted gun can easily spray products the gravity feed could not w/o thinning, so I feel reasonably optimistic that something like Extender could make Advance sprayable. I think the largest N/N I have at the moment is 1.5 mm, but I can buy larger ones if needed.

John

John I'd really love to hear how this turns out for you because I'm doing a painted project right now and it's far easier and far cheaper for me to get BM Advance than General White Poly. The other product I've been considering is a very new Sherwin Williams waterborne Alkyd, but I'm a little hesitant to try that because it's so new that my local SW supplier doesn't even have it yet.

Blog Entries
    A bit late, but I just finished spraying advance through my fuji mm4. Thinned @ 10% h2o & 1.5mm nozzle . It worked very well.
    Last edited by Jared Sankovich; 05-03-2016 at 11:30 PM.

Thanks Jared. Sorry, Derek, the project hasn't happened yet so I have nothing to report. I think I'll be reading your experiences first.

John