Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: MultiTool

If you're already invested in a cordless system, just get the unit (bare tool) that goes with your cordless. Or go Harbor Freight.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

For one time and maybe sometime later, the question is Multi-tool or no Multi-tool. Any Multi-tool does some jobs very well that can't be done with others. Originally developed for cutting plaster casts off people without hurting the human inside, they are magic for some jobs.

I certainly love many of my Festool tools but their Multi-tool seems silly for almost everyone other than a few users. I have an older Fein and also the new 350Q, which is a big improvement for regular use where you are constantly changing blades for different functions. My Bosch 12v is great when I (rarely) need the cordless.

Just buy ONE and go from there - and don't believe they are worth much for sanding except for very rare functions in corners and such........

HF - $17 on sale.
    I have two. I keep a half moon undercut blade on one and a 2.5" Imperial blade on the other.

I just burned up one of the HF ones last Winter. One second it was working, the next it was dead.
    No great loss. I worked it really hard & it did the job well.

I had a Dremel. Piece of junk. Ran so hot you had to wear a glove. It burned up after a grand total of less than an hour running time spread out over a year and a half.
    Dremel did away with that original configuration because it was so bad.

I had the pure pleasure of using a corded Ridgid a month ago. Lots of power, comfortable grip & multi speed. Very nice unit.
    If I used one more often, I'd probably go with the Ridgid.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

I have to cut out a section of wainscot consisting of a 8" diameter half round?

I have and will continue to recommend the Fein unit. Hard used between my Son and myself, good running piece.
    Also Imperial blades from Tools on Sale.

Ed

Years ago I bought a Genesis brand (clone of many other cheap brands) off Amazon. I think it was under $40 and came with several accessories. It won't die and does a lot of little things: cutting out the base boards for the new tile, chopping off nails in tight spots, cutting that odd shaped hole or space out of a wooden project, scraping glue off smooth concrete, sanding in tight spots, cutting out the whole for a new outlet in sheetrock. You get the idea. I tried the more expensive brands at shows. They work great and are probably better balanced and quieter, but for the small amount I use it, the cheapo does the job.

I have a Bosch cordless, for the reasons you want cordless. Works well, batteries last pretty long time. I agree with the others, not a lot of use, but it does that odd job well. Sits collecting dust most of the time. I've used the Fien, it's much better, but heavier. Ironically, I just used it a couple days ago. Glad I had it. Batteries had some juice in it after sitting for a long time unused.
    Can't argue with the HF version though......

Bought the Fein many years ago. Went to use it last year and the internal fork broke (which seems to be fairly common, from what I read). Part from Fein is $90! And a @$#@ to replace as the bearings are pressed in.

Threw it on the "to be fixed" pile and bought the dewalt cordless and haven't looked back. The only thing I miss from the Fein is the profile sanding attachment. Dewalt has flat sanding pads but no profile attachment.

I would suggest that while this might seem like a one time need...as so often is the case, once you have it you will use more than you might think....so I suggest buying a quality tool.

Like Randy, I too bought a $20 Harbor Freight multi tool for "one job." It is now four years old and it is my "go to" tools for trim, hanging doors, cutting tile grout and just about anything where I can try to kill this beast.

Best "durn" $20 tool I ever bought.

I got a Porter Cable version on discount at Woodcraft a couple of years ago, and while I do not use it often, it has worked very well the times I have needed it.

Doc
    As Cort would say: Fools are the only folk on the earth who can absolutely count on getting what they deserve.

I've had a Fein for 10 years but prefer my Milwaukee cordless.

The festool is basically a rebranded fein by the way. I have had a fein for close to 10 years and it doesn't get used that often, but when it does its worth it's weight in gold!

I have both a Dremel and a Fein. I bought the Dremel as I thought I would only use it once in a blue moon. I used all the time, enough to wear it out. It lasted me a few years. So I bought the newest Dremel for work in grout, cement, and fiberglass; as these material eat the motor. I also have the Fein for my wood work and renovations. I found that this is an indispensable tool.
    So if you are sure you will not be using it again, get a Dremel.

I am amazed to say but I WIL HIGHLY RECOMMEND the Harbor Freight variable speed models. Less than $ 32.00 with their ubiquitous 20% off coupons . I bought one about 3 years ago when I asked the same question here on the Creek. I have used mine very hard - (as professional remodeling and cabinetry builder and installer - among other things in the trades) very hard - for those 3 years - exclusively as a cutting tool - no sanding. I have cut through sooo much old house imbedded with nails as well as some custom cabinetry that needed a tweak and plumbing too and lots of sheetrock.

AND - I just today (TRULY) received my new cordless version with an extra battery to give my corded one a rest.

The down sides:

1) The carrying case is just barely big enough.
    2) The cord is just barely long enough.
    3) It is a loud screechy thing.
    4) Totally inadequate for sanding.

The battery version doesn't come with a carrying case or any accessories.

After 3 years the corded version seems to be loosing the ability to maintain the high speed. Vibrations keep winding it down. Still works great but I need to constantly change the speed. Figured it is on its way out so I bough the cordless, though I would not be surprised to work the old one hard for still another year.

Blade are more expensive then the machine. I have learned to buy Bosch carbides for metal and nail imbedded wood, and Imperial by the 10 or 20 pack for the woodwork.

I very rarely use my nice Makita anti vibe sawzall since buying this HF tool.

All this from a guy who is by local reputation a tool snob. Lots of Festool and Milwaukee in my work day. I only own 1 HF tool (now 2) and they are both Chicago Electric multi tools. No verdict or recommendation on the cordless version yet - but I'll keep you posted .
    Last edited by Sam Murdoch; 04-20-2016 at 6:49 PM. Reason: forgot to include sheetrock
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

Thanks for revue ,Sam. Gonna get one. Reading the "down sides" it sounds like they are up to USA standards!

Which Bosch do you guys that are recommending it have? There are a couple different models on the market now it looks like.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!