Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MultiTool

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

MultiTool

I have an install coming up later this week that a MultiTool would really help with (have to cut out a section of wainscoat consisting of a 8" diameter half round, 1" x 10" fir base and 3' of corrugated sheet metal).

Question is.....which one to buy? The Festool is over $600, Fein at the BORG is $200 and then there are all the rest (Dremel, Dewalt, Makita, etc.) I really don't anticipate using this tool for many other projects, but it will probably come in handy someday, so Festool is probably out.

I would really appreciate some advice/help. Thanks folks by the creek.

Been thinking about getting one myself. I was planning to go with the DeWalt. Good price, comes with some accessories and good reviews.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Blog Entries
    I got a Fein years ago & it hasn't been used a lot. But when you need it, you really need it. The Fein is a wonderful tool to use; very well designed & built.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    I got a Fein years ago & it hasn't been used a lot. But when you need it, you really need it. The Fein is a wonderful tool to use; very well designed & built.
    +1 I've had one for years, and I've used it more than I thought I would have. There is always a cut that you just can't seem to figure out with other tools. This is where this tool shines.

Blog Entries
    Bill,
    I don't know how you feel about Harbor Freight, but for a one time job, their tools are a pretty good value. They do not even begin to compete with the Fein or even the DeWalt. But they will get the job done at least once, and you will still have some money in your pocket. They have 2 corded versions, one for $20 and the other for $40.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

I bought a Dremel for 1-time use - basically looked at it as a throw-away, and paid the absolute least I could find. It did what was needed well, but no clue as to it's durability. It just isn't the do-everything tool they advertise - - at least for me.

If above fits your requirements, then consider this a ringing endorsement. ...IF you work the who-do out of it and it breaks, we never met.

I have the Porter Cable tool and I have used it many times over many years. I like it a lot. The only problem I have with it is that the blades aren't the standard configuration and some after market brands won't work. I have never had a problem finding blades though.

I bought a $30 Harbor Freight a few years ago thinking I would get a good one when it died if I liked it. Problem is the damn thing won't die! It has ample power, is loud, and I have abused it heavily. Cut wood, metal (great for slipping between things to cut nails), and grout . Some day I will finally kill this thing and get a cordless.

The HF one is hard to beat for the money. I have one somewhere. I replaced it when I got a Bosch with toolless blade changes for a steal. The Bosch is much nicer but the HF got the job done. I find all kind of uses for mine and use it all the time.

I like the Bosch. It seems to be the best middle of the road tool and It fits other brands of blades.
    My woodworking theory: Measure with a micrometer, Mark with chalk, Cut with an ax.

I've had Feins in the kit since well before the 'clone wars' but have used a Bosch corded version several times, they're pretty decent and had I started a recent hunt for one I'd look at the Bosch.

Keeping up with blades once you get one is the pita part. I've pretty much settled on Imperial brand for mine but for occasional use the Oshlun stuff is not bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Cramer View Post
    I like the Bosch. It seems to be the best middle of the road tool and It fits other brands of blades.
    +1 for the Bosch. I don't use mine all the time, but am really glad to have it when I do. Well worth the money.
    Bill R., somewhere in Maine

I have the Ridgid cordless one. The only reason I chose that one is because I already have a number of Ridgid 18V tools, so being able to share batteries topped the list. I don't use it a lot, but when I do, it's often the only tool that will do the job.

I have the Ridgid corded model. Works just fine and performs well. I just can't see a need to spend any more, given how seldom I need to use it.
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 04-19-2016 at 7:04 PM.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I've had a Dremel for a number of years. I don't use it day in and day out, just occasionally. It's only drawback so far is the vents are positioned so that after extended use it's uncomfortable to hold due to the heat.