Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Brand Driver Bits Do You Prefer

Question What Brand Driver Bits Do You Prefer

I am currently building a workbench and bought a box of 2 1/2" square drive deck screws. So far I am pleased but I am using a cheap #2 square drive bit that came in a bit assortment with no name.

I am constantly stripping out screw heads and wearing out phillips and torx bits.

So what brand of bits do you feel works the best?
    Steve Kinnaird
    Florida's Space Coast
    Have built things from wood for years, will finally have a shop setup by Sept. 2015 !! OK, maybe by February LOL ……

Wiha Terminator bits are my favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitrios Fradelakis View Post
    Wiha Terminator bits are my favorite.

I've just started using these as well, and am happy with them.

For square drive, I've previously been using bits from McFeeleys for the last 20 years with excellent results.

But I just bough my first impact driver, and a few days of research led me to the Wiha Terminators.
    Gerry

JointCAM

For Phillips head I've had excellent experience with these: http://www.amazon.com/3-80202-Philli...rch_detailpage

They have the ACR feature. Bought a 5 pack over a year ago and am still using the 1st bit after driving hundreds of screws with it.

I have settled on dewalt bits. The ones with the yellow shaft. They did a very good job of forming the bit, so it fits extremely well in screws. They last a really long time, and they are a lot cheaper then the wha bits.

I was at a show in Atlanta, and the Bosch stand had an impact bit that was double headed -- meaning that the end that fits in the drill was also a driver ... they are just coming out -- have not seen them, but it would be a nice option to not have to carry around so many different bits for the different screw sizes.

Back to recommended bits -- I also used Milwaukee impact bits and Mikita ones, and the Dewalt ones were better IMHO ...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Used DeWalt bits for years and since I take care when driving they tend to last reasonably well. However recently I began swapping everything I can in the shop of this nature to Wiha and yea you can tell they are better quality. I get my Wiha stuff from Carbide Processors. Best prices, free shipping on orders >$150 and no tax for most and they give 10% everything with the "creekers" coupon code.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Dewalt is my go-to. I've been using the same set for around 5 years.

Wiha Terminators are my new favorite. Big time!

Anyway....Are you having trouble with stainless steel square head deck screws? The heads of the stainless screws are easily stripped out. I very seldom have trouble with square head screws unless it is made from stainless steel.

Best prices, free shipping on orders >$150
    I got mine from KC Tool. Free shipping @ $50
    Gerry

JointCAM

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Hoffmann View Post
    I was at a show in Atlanta, and the Bosch stand had an impact bit that was double headed -- meaning that the end that fits in the drill was also a driver ... they are just coming out -- have not seen them, but it would be a nice option to not have to carry around so many different bits for the different screw sizes.
    I bought a set of those... wouldn't get them again. They do not fit well into my ridgid impact. Maybe a different impact would work fine? Don't know.
    Profanity is the futile effort of a feeble mind, to exert itself forcefully.

Wiha Terminators
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ide-Processors

Just bought a bunch from Carbide Processors and everyone loves them. Might be a bit of overkill for 2 1/2" deck screws but a pair of square drive bits should last you for thousands of screws.

I purchase mine from the big box stores and tend to go with DeWalt. I don't break them nearly as much as lose them.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Orbine View Post
    Wiha Terminators are my new favorite. Big time!

Anyway....Are you having trouble with stainless steel square head deck screws? The heads of the stainless screws are easily stripped out. I very seldom have trouble with square head screws unless it is made from stainless steel.
    Yes, Stainless Steel Square Drive 2 1/2" Deck Screws. Only Square Drive I could find at Home Depot.
    Have only had 2 strip out, thought it might have been the cheap bits.
    Steve Kinnaird
    Florida's Space Coast
    Have built things from wood for years, will finally have a shop setup by Sept. 2015 !! OK, maybe by February LOL ……

Thanks for the replies and recommendations.
    Wiha Terminators certainly sound like an excellent driver.
    Will have to get a few and give them a try.

I did pick up a pack of Dewalt & a pack of Milwaukee with what I figure is a torq shaft.
    Needed to get the work benches finish.

Will put and order in for Wiha next week.

Again, THANKS!!!
    Steve Kinnaird
    Florida's Space Coast

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Riddle View Post
    I purchase mine from the big box stores and tend to go with DeWalt. I don't break them nearly as much as lose them.
    So true, I am sure I have hundreds somewhere LOL
    I now make sure I keep them all in a magnetic tray (when I remember)
    Steve Kinnaird
    Florida's Space Coast