Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for supplier of plastic license plate backers

Looking for supplier of plastic license plate backers

Hi Creekers,

I have been buying black plastic license tag backings/frames from Laserbits. They no longer sell them!!! I can't find them ANYWHERE.

Acrylic fits nicely inside the frame, and gives a nice finished look.

I attempted to upload a picture here, so you can tell what I'm talking about.

If you know where I can get these, or something similar, please let me know.

THANKS!!!
    Amy
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ULS X-660 CO2 50 watt (July 2008), Corel X7, Photograv, GX 7000 for dye sub, Graphtec vinyl plotter, Rayzist Sandcarving system (Nov 2018), JPT MOPA M6 30 watt Fiber Laser (May 2019)

First I would call LaserBits on Monday and ask them who the supplier WAS since they do not have them anymore. A Fair Question in my opinion....

Next stop... Call this lady as She supplied me Hitch Covers by the case a few years ago and this number is the one I have for her. She is the importer from China for this stuff that I purchased from other big suppliers before I found her.

http://www.dwdsales.com/contact.html

https://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Hit..._Plastics.aspx

This may be her too...

https://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Lic...-pt-Plain.aspx

AL
    1 Laser, 4 CarveWrights, Star 912 Rotary, CLTT, Sublimation, FC7000 Vinyl, 911 Signs, Street Signs, Tourist Products and more.
    Home of the Fire Department "Epoxy Dome Accountability Tag and Accountability Boards".

Thanks for the suggestions, Al!

Laserbits replied that they don't know who carries it.

I have been looking through your links, and can't find it. I found something similar, but it wasn't flat to accept the acrylic.
    ULS X-660 CO2 50 watt (July 2008), Corel X7, Photograv, GX 7000 for dye sub, Graphtec vinyl plotter, Rayzist Sandcarving system (Nov 2018), JPT MOPA M6 30 watt Fiber Laser (May 2019)

I just called her and I do believe she has what you are looking for. I told her I would point you back to her. If you can't make a minimum order, not knowing what that would be... She might be able to point you to a re seller / supplier where you could get them.

Good Luck,

AL
    1 Laser, 4 CarveWrights, Star 912 Rotary, CLTT, Sublimation, FC7000 Vinyl, 911 Signs, Street Signs, Tourist Products and more.
    Home of the Fire Department "Epoxy Dome Accountability Tag and Accountability Boards".

Al, Nancy replied to me that they do not have any items like that. I did see one for a cargo trailer, but the backing isn't flat.

Glen, I saw those, but those appear to be a frame with a plastic tinted cover. I appreciate your looking for it.

What I need is a one piece backing/frame, so when I install the acrylic with double sided tape, it lies flat and gives a nice border that is flush with the acrylic.

You can't just take the eTrailer one, flip it over so the clear/smoked plastic is now at the back and use the old back side as the new front frame?
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Thanks for the suggestion, Bill. I don't think it will work; it looks like the plastic tinted shield is a separate piece. And it looks flexible. The now-unavailable backings are flat and stiff, giving me a good surface to adhere the acrylic inlay.

If you could find someone with a large bed 3D printer it would be one solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    If you could find someone with a large bed 3D printer it would be one solution.

What would this plate cover cost to make on a 3d printer??

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Bob View Post
    What would this plate cover cost to make on a 3d printer??
    l would need to see a picture and the dimensions. It would probably not be cost effective.

So it has to fit a standard 6X12 plate, so it needs a pretty good sized bed and the two printers I am thinking of are not big enough to do it. Perhaps it could be done in two pieces.
    Last edited by Bill George; 05-17-2016 at 9:19 PM.

I think you would be right; not cost effective to use on a 3D printer. These were just $1.99 at Laserbits. I wonder if I can find a stiff backing sheet stock and cut it myself? And forego the frame lip area?

Would a backing of black acrylic be ok to use? Or something else? These are about 6" x 12".

I am attaching a couple more photos. License plate backing closeup.jpg

License tag backing backside.jpg

The backside is stamped with: "Officially Licensed Product, Names, Marks & Symbols used on this product are registered trademarks of the institution and produced under license. All materials and workmanship are warranted against defects. Wash with mild soap. No solvents or glass cleaners. 100% made in the USA."

I didn't see anything identical on the JP site but there are some options. http://www.johnsonplastics.com/subli...-plates-frames
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

How you thought about buying from China? I did a quick search on alibaba and found this:

https://m.alibaba.com/product/603704...7009.35.Vr7dvA

if not this one, I am sure they're on there.

Good luck!
    Epilog Helix 60 watt, Epilog 36EXT 75 watt, 2 Rotary Attachments, 3 Jaw Chuck Rotary Attachment, Kern 52x100 400 watt putting out 580 watts, Photobrasive Laser Mask, Rayzist 1924 Blast Cabinet, ikonics blast cabinet, SR3000 Resist, Epson 1400 Printer, 1 Paragon Glass Kiln, Covington Wet Belt Sander/Polisher, 2 JDS Air Filtration Units, 14" Stone Saw, and A Few Other Things I Forgot About!

Have you tried your motor vehicle department