Thread: CNC Laser Attachment

CNC Laser Attachment

So I was looking through a CNC forum and came across a discussion about adding a laser attachment to a CNC.

It's made by a company called jTech Photonics and for less than $500 you can buy a 3.8w laser that you can attach to your CNC spindle. Although it's mostly for engraving, they do claim that it can cut acrylic and 3mm wood (with a few passes).

I'd be a little concerned with a stray beam and I'm not quite sure what they do for fume extraction since most CNC's aren't enclosed.

I know a lot of people on here have CNC's......so does anyone have one of these?

So if you thought a Glowforge was dangerous, you probably wouldn't want to buy one of these!
    Epilog Mini 24 - 45 Watt, Corel Draw X5, Wacom Intuos Tablet, Unengraved HP Laptop, with many more toys to come.....

If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have one idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas... George B. Shaw

As regards a stray beam, all the kits they sell include safety goggles.

Its a diode laser and the power on those is rated different than on a standard CO2 glass tube unit. If your wood shop is like my sons, he has vacuum ports every where to hook up to his dust collector.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    Its a diode laser and the power on those is rated different than on a standard CO2 glass tube unit. If your wood shop is like my sons, he has vacuum ports every where to hook up to his dust collector.
    It's not that they're rated differently (a Watt is a Watt), they're just at a different wavelength, which can have a different effect on different materials compared to a 10.6um CO2 tube.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5