Thread: Cermark thickness

Cermark thickness

Hello, I'm hoping somebody can provide some pictures showing the proper thickness of cermark on metal. I've spent days reading about it on here and other forums and know that since I'm using a glass tube chinese machine I have to deviate from the normal settings and do some power grids, but I would really like to see what it looks like properly applied since I think we've probably been putting it on to thick from the spray can. We've ordered an airbrush to start using that method, but reading descriptions where people talk about the consistency of milk and being able to see the metal through the coating aren't helping us. If someone could post some pictures or a video of how it should look before lasering I would greatly appreciate it.

The machine we're using has a 100 watt glass tube and the speed maxes out at 400 mm/s or 16 ips. We're mainly using this for stainless Yeti Ramblers on a rotor.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Here's a video from JDS showing the application from the spray can on a flask. https://youtu.be/PVscWOHZ1bQ

We do a bunch of the Yeti style cups and its just a light coating that works for us. If it is not turning out very good, you should probably adjust your laser settings.
    ULS 50 Watt
    Sublimation
    Sandblasting
    Diamond Drag/Rotary Engraver

about 1/4 of my gross income is via Cermark...

I've used a lot of spray-can Cermark, no negative results except to the pocketbook. It IS spendy that way...

I've tried the 'the metal almost shows thru' version and when I'm done, metal shows thru. Light coat, yes, but if I see even a HINT of light shining off metal showing thru, I add more Cermark.

I airbrushed the stuff for several years, until I finally broke down and listened to Mike Null and tried a foam brush. Fantastic way to put down Cermark, especially over large areas.

For smaller areas I find the absolute cheapest artist paint brushes you can find, the type with cheap looking, loose bristles. They absorb way more Cermark than nice, tight bristle brushes, and more in the brush means a lot more gets laid down on your work before loading up the brush.

And while airbrushing saves a LOT of Cermark vs their spray cans, I can attest that I use half as much Cermark brushing it on vs airbrushing it on. It's easy to figure this out when covering 80% of a 24" x 31" stainless operator panel. I would use about 1-3/4 airbrush bottles full to spray these panels, I can brush the same panel with less than a full bottle. I haven't touched my airbrush in over a year now.

As for thinning, if you buy the 250g or larger jars of 6000, start with 6 parts of denatured alcohol to 1 part of Cermark. This is pretty close. My mix is best described as somewhere around chocolate milk. When just right, a crappy paint brush will lay down a swath with streaks, which will flow together within a few seconds. If the streaks don't flow together, it's too thick. If it runs freely beyond the edges of the original swath, it's too thin...

The main problem I have with Cermark is keeping the mix just right. Just while applying it, if taking more than a couple of minutes the alky will evaporate out of the container I have it in (like 2oz fry sauce cups), and I have to keep adding alky to thin it. I keep alky in needle-point jars, easy to dispense small amounts. The smalll containers to brush from don't seal all that well either. I keep my pre-mix in old Cermark jars, those DO work well for storage.
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

The spray can is awful. It's wasteful and difficult to control and goes bad relatively quickly. You're MUCH better off with buying the bottle, thinning it yourself, and applying with a foam brush. We go pretty thin and find that the thinner the coat, the better. I personally try to use a brush as large as my engraving. So if I'm engraving something 2" x 6", I try to use a 2-2.5" foam brush. The reason is when you do a small overlap, it gets a little thicker at that spot and can result in some inconsistencies.

One last thing, you simply have to ignore the settings provided by Cermark. Your laser is slow. Cermark assumes 100% speed is about 80ips. So when they say run at 100% and 100% speed (for 100w laser) they are saying run at 100W and 80ips. Seeing as your max is 16ips, you should actually run theoretically at 16ips @ 20W. I'm not even sure your laser will really work at 20W so be careful. Also remember, these are theoretical numbers. I'd likely bump the power to 25-30W.
    Equipment: IS400, IS6000, VLS 6.60, LS100, HP4550, Ricoh GX e3300n, Hotronix STX20
    Software: Adobe Suite & Gravostyle 5
    Business: Trophy, Awards and Engraving

I have an ongoing job that requires a foam brush and I use foam for most one offs. But I actually prefer the airbrush if it works for the job. For example, 100 or more ss tags that I can set up side by side and spray. When $5 below has the foam brushes I load up with 4 or 5 dozen which will last me a year or more.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

I also am in the foam brush category (it's all I've ever used).
    I apply it very thinly, almost see through.
    My 25W LMI's would run @ 15 speed / 90 power 300 dpi.
    The TT was somewhat faster.
    The DNA will eat a foam brush pretty quickly but, immediate rinsing in H2O would pull off a couple more jobs!
    I could make several hundred $ on a $.85 foam brush (providing lotsa knives/swords to be engraved). HTH

Bruce
    Epilog TT 35W, 2 LMI SE225CV's
    CorelDraw 4 through 11
    CarveWright
    paper and pencils

Thanks for the tips so far everyone. I did some power grids on a 30 oz Yeti at max speed and varying the power. One of them was run with the scan gap (since we don't have DPI settings) at .05mm and the second at .025mm. This was applied with the spray can but thinner than we had been. Our airbrush parts were delivered today, and we also picked up some foam brushes to try. http://i.imgur.com/WCjHDBW.jpg

I'll definitely be running more grids to try to narrow down the largest scan gap and associated power setting we can use and still get a good mark since that drastically increased the length of the job.

Wow. First time back for awhile, and immediately again you solve my question. I had been using spray and will order the jars and foam brush.

Thanks again.
    Tom Evans - Milwaukee, WI
    Photon Cutter Studios
    PCS Engraving, inc

Trotec Speedy II

I've found if you heat the can up first...in . Boiling water to raise the temp of the can and cermark the spray is finer and lasts longer.. And no the can will not explode! 5 years and never a mishap, If the bottom of the can pops then you have really gone to far. 5 Cans a years is my average.

Heat the water in a microwave to boiling. immerse can in water. Shake and re-immerse until the can is very warm. Also keeps the nozzle from clogging.

Mark
    Mark
    In the Great Northwest!

Trotec Speedy C25, Newing-Hall 350 (AMC I & HPGL), NH-CG-30 (Carbide Cutter Sharpener)
    Sawgrass 400 Gel Ink Printer, CS5, 5/9/x6 CorelDraw

I apply a full coat with a brush, run at 100%, that is 80 watts for me and a speed of about 10%.

Don't do a tremendous amount of stainless but I have had good results.

Best of luck,
    Robert
    Robert Tepper
    Trotec Rayjet 300/80 Watt
    Dahlgren 500 Engraving Machine, CNC Engraving Machine
    Pad printer with 5 3/4 x 5 3/4" print area
    Jackson Vulcanizers, 15 x 24", three total
    Hegner Scroll Saws, 14", three total

I found this brush from my wife makeup bag. I thinked it would be a good try to see how it works with a Thermark. Seemed to be a very good catch.. because it's so soft you can get a very smooth layer with it and it will also hold a lot of liquid inside. A4 size work will be easily brushed with a one fill. The only bad thing was my wife reaction after she noticed her brush was stolen (but my use for the brush is a lot of better comparing to the use where it is ment to be )
    Attached Images Attached Images
    GCC Spirit GX 60W, 600 Series LLC 60W, Corel 11/X3, Illustrator, Autocad 2004, etc...

What is the going rate for a Yeti cup? I had a customer ask and I priced it at $10 for the first one, just one side or area and then $6 each for any more of the same pattern. In my spare time I am working on a liquid powder coating process, where you mix a liquid with standard powder coating powder and then laser it. My initial test on a piece of aluminum turned out ok, just like Thermark.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

powder coat

Bill would you care elaborate on this method, what liquid what ratio
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

I'd like to know about the powder coat paint also... I had actually been thinking about using laser toner from a laser printer and see how well it would fuse/adhere.
    Brian Lamb
    Lamb Tool Works, Custom tools for woodworkers
    Equipment: Felder KF700 and AD741, Milltronics CNC Mill, Universal Laser X-600

Its a product called, well I will post a picture. Special liquid you mix 50-50 or so with powder coating powder like from Harbor Freight or better suppliers. Mix in a blender and either spray on or other, let dry and then you put in a standard oven or powder coating oven and heat. When I used to do the dry powder coating it was around 400 degrees but the laser will fuse it to metal. Not bonded ceramic like Cermark or Thermark but powder coating. I have not really have time to experiment with much. The liquid was around $30-$35 or so shipped. I purchased a glass beaker blender used at a thrift store for $10. Spraying I have not tried yet.

Been pretty busy and then trying to do my rotary project, but the stuff does work. YMMV.

Going to add 3 pictures of some trials I did this afternoon. Put the mixture on with a foam brush rather thick and set out in sun to dry. I have a pretty strong 50 watt laser, this final piece was done at 100% power and 2% speed.
    First picture out of machine and wiped clean, second wiped with DNA and a rag #3 I used some ultra fine steel wood medium pressure about 20 swipes

.PC100and2.jpgDNARubTest.jpgSteelWoolTest.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bill George; 04-24-2016 at 5:18 PM.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10