Thread: Unusual turning request: tire thumpers

Unusual turning request: tire thumpers

A friend asked me if I could make some tire thumpers for a local school bus company. I never heard of such things!

Evidently they are used by bus and truck drivers to check for low tire pressure, especially on the inside tires of dualies - thump the tire and listen to the sound. The guy said some people kick the tires but others have problems with this, especially smaller women bus drivers.

I looked these up online and from the comments discovered many people who buy them from Amazon get them for a personal protection device to keep in their house or car.

I made a couple of quick prototype shapes, hickory and walnut with no particular attention to detail or finish. These are about 20" long made from 2x2 stock.

These might be an opportunity for someone to make some money turning some simple things. I don't know the extent of the "tire thumper" market, but this one bus company wants about 30. They are evidently available in truck stops but pricey.

JKJ

Hmm, I was thinking croquette mallet.... It could work. I might have to learn how to use a skew...

robo hippy

Well it looks like they would be fun to make some. I have some hard wood culls I could use. I made these from some of them.20160408_194328_resized.jpg

They're not legal in many states, so check first before turning and selling. In California they are considered a billy club, which is classified as a deadly weapon and is a felony. If I remember correctly, it has to do with the stick having some kind of grip, knob, or strap to hold on to. And yet rocks are legal. Go figure.

By Tennessee law a club, like a firearm or a knife with a blade longer than 4", is illegal if carried "with intent to be armed."

JKJ

These things have been around for many years, most truckers around here have one. They do a great job of checking tires for inflation, and they're not bad as a self defense item. I'm not sure how legal they are, but, I've never heard of any of the fellows getting a ticket for having them. And believe me, if there is any chance of fining you, the highway patrol goes crazy with fines or penalties. Years ago, I was told by the police, that they were legal as long as there wasn't any metal on them anywhere.
    Len
    Last edited by Len Mullin; 04-09-2016 at 12:10 AM.

This design is usually available at truck stops. The "club end" is usually 2in finished size.

Back in the day, I always just used a hammer.

Wayne

An appropriately sized axe handle might make a good tire thumper and they are legal in all 50 states. You can buy them in almost any good hardware store, I keep a long handle one next to the door of my workshop and a short one.....well that I will not disclose

"Brownsville", North Queensland, Australia.
    Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    By Tennessee law a club, like a firearm or a knife with a blade longer than 4", is illegal if carried "with intent to be armed."

JKJ
    Same situation in most Australian states.

Several years back we had a gentleman walk into the local wood turning club and requested we make 50 "night sticks" for him - the typical "t" style law enforcement baton. As secretary at the time I contacted the Weapons Branch of the QLD Police Service to find out firstly if it was legal to make them, to supply them and lastly to possess them. The answer I received was that Yes - it is legal to make them; Yes - it is legal to supply them BUT only to a person who has a "lawful" use for them i.e. a Martial Arts Club etc for "training purposes"; and MAYBE on the "possess them" question - all context relevant - definitely not legal to walk around at night carrying one or to use it for "asset protection" at home or in the vehicle.

The gentleman became evasive about their purpose when we requested further details and an order form with the letter head of the Martial Arts Club we would be supplying too, so the club declined as it did not want to be associated with "supply" for a quasi legal use.

I used to make fisherman's priests from nice heavy Australian hardwoods - just the thing for pacifying our Spanish Mackeral armed with razor sharp teeth.

You need to make the priests from wood that won't sink.....

robo hippy