Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Youth size face shield?

"Brownsville", North Queensland, Australia.
    Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Does anyone have experience with both models side-by-side? (S8510 and S8500) JKJ

John, they are identical - only difference is the anti-fog hard coating http://www.honeywellsafety.com/Produ...site=/americas

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    I recently bought two of the Uvex face shields but have not had a child here in the last week to test. It does appear to adjust to smaller head sizes.

I notice Amazon carries two models, one about $15 cheaper than the other. I bought two of the more expensive models. From the description, the cheaper one indicates "dual position choices" while the other mentions "highly adjustable" head piece. Also, the more expensive one claims an anti-fog/hardcoat lens. I'm tempted to order one of the cheaper ones just to compare. I have a small class soon and not enough face shields.

Does anyone have experience with both models side-by-side? (S8510 and S8500)

JKJ
    John these are great shields I have the dents and dings to prove it after a large piece of bark came loose. The bark actually left a large mark on the shield out side of the face shield, I also have a ding on the face shield from some other object, don't remember what it was, but sure glad I had the shield.

Just a quick update to let everyone know that the Uvex shield did the trick. The headband cinches down enough to provide a stable fit on my daughters head and she was comfortable for an entire turning session yesterday. I've worn it a few times when I didn't need the full Trend and found it to be very comfortable with excellent visibility. Thanks for all the suggestions!

P.S. Turning resin blanks stinks....literally and figuratively. she bought it with her own money at woodcraft though so I took one for the team and helped her turn it

"Brownsville", North Queensland, Australia.
    Peter, looks like you have one very happy daughter! Good to see the Uvex Bionic face shield worked well.

It would be a nice gesture for Uvex or another manufacturer to produce a scaled down version for youth and smaller adults but sadly our economy is all about volume & profit and not the common good so I won't hold my breath waiting. Manufacturing is geared to the "standard body form" and the anthropometric (measurement of the human individual) ranges of sizes. If your body size / shape just happens to be outside of those ranges bad luck! Perhaps the best way is to approach the standards people to have a ratio of face shield size / weight to body proportion introduced into the standards then to put pressure on the manufacturers to produce them.

I have a retired woodturning mentor whose spouse is a tiny sub 5' and very petite. She constantly struggles with face shields but perserveres with them because her nursing career has imprinted upon her the benefits of eye and face protection.

Have any of you ever thought of using a hockey helmet for this purpose? I've used them for the kids safety, when turning or grinding things. The ones I use are the ones with the plastic face shield, they offer the best protection. The helmets and shields aren't all that heavy, and the kids don't seem to mind wearing them. I don't know what the safety ratings for these are, but, I do know it's better to use them, then it is to use nothing.
    Len