Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rastering small words into wood?

version 9 or below so more people can see it and help, also just insert file here if not to big
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    version 9 or below so more people can see it and help, also just insert file here if not to big
    All that does is introduce more variables: we need to reproduce his problem, which is with X7.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Well that will limit who can help sorry id didn't think of that

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    All that does is introduce more variables: we need to reproduce his problem, which is with X7.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Lee,

I was merely seeking your opinion as you seem to have some expertise on the matter.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    I was merely seeking your opinion as you seem to have some expertise on the matter.
    As with most things, any perceived expertise on my part is only what Jerry Pournelle used to call "the relentless application of logic".
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Ok, I've narrowed the problem down to an issue with the ULS driver not behaving as it should at certain settings eg:

Throughput = 4, Image enhancement disabled, print is NOT OK for certain fonts
    Throughput = 4, Image enhancement manual, print is ok (font is fat even with very low settings for contrast)
    Throughput = 5, Image enhancement disabled, print is ok
    Throughput = 5, Image enhancement manual, print is ok (font is fat even with very low settings for contrast)
    Throughput = 7, Image enhancement disabled, print is NOT OK for certain fonts
    Throughput = 7, Image enhancement manual, print is ok (font is fat even with very low settings for contrast)

I have always had image enhancement disabled because I've found that fonts print out truer to shape this way. With the logo I am doing I wanted it a little bit finer so chose quality over throughput and this is when the driver screws up and only with certain fonts. The local agent can't explain it because if it was a tuning issue I should get the same issue at any throughput with any font when image enhancement is disabled.

So thanks for your help folks, persistence at experimenting with many different settings and combinations has got me a work around.
    For reference, the 1st line was Avalon bold, the 2nd Avantgarde, the 3rd Arial. The 2nd and 3rd lines would have print issues but the 1st line never did, I suspect this is because it was bold (I haven't bothered trying to replicate faults for this font at normal).
    Universal 60W Laser, VLS6.60
    Driver 5.31.54.5

Windows 10? Can you try this on a Windows 7 machine? I'm hearing that Windows 10 is still having driver issues in that they are either non-existent or there's issues with them. Supposedly the big release coming up in July (it's the "Anniversary" release so I think it's July) will fix most of the driver issues.

Unfortunately I don't have a Win7 machine I can try it on after upgrading everything to Win10. I do have an XP machine with an older version of Coral on it in storage (backup system) so will dig it out, update the driver and then try and see if I can replicate the issue. It will be a couple of days before I get to it.
    Looking forward to a Win10 fix, having to reinstall the ULS driver every time Windows updates is a pita.
    Universal 60W Laser, VLS6.60
    Driver 5.31.54.5

Hi Allan

I am in Auckland and have the exact same machine. If you want to drop around sometime with your Corel file we can have a play here is you are interested. I have been doing very fine engraving on this machine for quite a while. e.g. circuit boards etc. You can find my details by googling "edns group"
    Universal Laser VLS6.60, Tantillus 3D printer, Electronic design
    edns Group, Mairangi Bay, Auckland, New Zealand