Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stopped in Springfield, Mo.

Stopped in Springfield, Mo.

Went to Grizzly and slobbered on everything. What are the opinions on the GO766 now that they Have been out and used for several months. Really thinking about upgrade.

Thanks Paul

2. Quote Originally Posted by Paul Crofton View Post
    Went to Grizzly and slobbered on everything. What are the opinions on the GO766 now that they Have been out and used for several months. Really thinking about upgrade.

Thanks Paul
    I guess everyone who has looked up the G0766 online has seen comments from me! I am VERY pleased with my 0766. To date it has performed as well as any of the 9 different 3520b's I have turned on.....better than a couple of those. Smooth, powerful and quiet.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Crofton View Post

Thanks Paul

Was someone following you around with a mop bucket? That's what they do when I am there. Talk about being like a kid in a toy store....

I love mine as much as the day I unpacked it. Just can't imagine what else I would want/need in a lathe. It has size, speed, length, etc. I only had one small issue with mine and Roger solved that for me.

Paul,

I've had a few issues with mine but all-but-one have been fixed. I'm still waiting on a new spindle that conforms to minimum industry specifications for shape/profile and percent thread engagement. I expect that the new spindles will be in the pipeline in the next few months and will hopefully resolve that lingering issue.

Other than my small issues, I love the features - - plenty of power, takes large turnings, variable speed (no longer do I have the anxiety of turning on an off-balance piece at 900 rpms) and a reverse (which is nice for sanding. So I am pleased with the performance to price ratio.

I used to live in Springfield and went there weekly drueling on all their stuff!!!! I ended up getting a Jet 2014 lathe somewhere else but used their Live Center MT2 because it was spot on! Worked perfect on my Jet!
    Ahhhhh..... the smell of fresh cut wood!

7. Just for the sake of getting a good perspective on the spindle issue Brice mentions in his post above......from what we can tell there are just a very small [think 4 maybe 5 units] that we have heard about a possible spindle issue. Most from what we can gather are just fine. My unit has a good threads of proper size. Many others that have gotten the G0766 have not had any issues with theirs.......of course they did manufacture a larger banjo and fixed the toolrest height in the process as well.

Some of us sort of speculate that in the rush to get these things out the factory door to those who had purchased and were clamoring for their units to arrive here, that they might have had a handful that were not given the full quality control inspection.....of course, we do not know that for sure, but by far, this lathe has already proven to be a fine performing, feature filled unit.

Again, perspective needs to be based on facts. Other makes have problems reported as well, and it seems that this G0766 is certainly in the ballpark with other makes that come out of Asia as it relates to issues/repairs.

I do know from my own interactions with tech support and CS at Grizzly and the reports of other owners of this lathe, that Grizzly is working hard to make every customer flush and satisfied with the unit.......they want it right and are working to improve things in the parts pipeline and at the factory, as they have invested in this unit and want it to be a success for both themselves and their customers.

I preordered my G0766 in the beginning and I haven't regretted my purchase for a moment. It's a great lathe for my needs-- the only issue I had with it was the small banjo, which they fixed (for free) with a new casting. I have no complaints with the lathe and don't have any issues with it at all.
    Licensed Professional Engineer,
    Unlicensed Semi Professional Tinkerer

i love mine. i've turned hundreds of bowls on it, from full capacity hunks that barely cleared the ways to small spindles and finials. i turn on it 3 to 5 hours a night... The only thing i wish it had was a push-button to lock the headstock when i take off the chuck or faceplate... small annoyance to have to reach over 6" and grab the pin off the magnet. otherwise, i can't imagine needing anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by mike pockoski View Post
    i love mine. i've turned hundreds of bowls on it, from full capacity hunks that barely cleared the ways to small spindles and finials. i turn on it 3 to 5 hours a night... The only thing i wish it had was a push-button to lock the headstock when i take off the chuck or faceplate... small annoyance to have to reach over 6" and grab the pin off the magnet. otherwise, i can't imagine needing anything else.
    Same here. I had a few issues, but mine was in the first batch. Have not had any since, and spent plenty of the saved funds on Woodcut Max coring, Thompson, Lacer, Hurricane tooling, HTC100 and HTC125 Chucks, a frugal vac system, etc. etc.

I am in love. And behind the lathe sits my Grizzly 17" bandsaw.
    Last edited by Jeramie Johnson; 04-05-2016 at 12:59 PM.

Thanks, sorry I was slow on responding life gets in the way. I have ordered one and I like the fact of ordering online I avoid the sales tax and that offsets the shipping charges. As was stated by J Johnson the saving over other brands gives me more to put out for other accessories. A better dust system comes to mind at the top of the list.

12. Quote Originally Posted by Paul Crofton View Post
    Thanks, sorry I was slow on responding life gets in the way. I have ordered one and I like the fact of ordering online I avoid the sales tax and that offsets the shipping charges. As was stated by J Johnson the saving over other brands gives me more to put out for other accessories. A better dust system comes to mind at the top of the list.
    Congrats Paul.......I think you will be more pleased as you use it more and more along the way. My G0766 just keeps on impressing me with its performance. After numerous projects of all sizes with all kinds of wood, it just seems to show off its power and smoothness more each time I use it.

The G0766 is soooooo 2015. 2016 is the year of the G0800!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Cary Falk View Post
    The G0766 is soooooo 2015. 2016 is the year of the G0800!!!!!
    LOL. I haven't turned on the 766, but do have the Laguna 2436 the equivalent of the GO800. It is a massive lathe, (+800lbs.)with lots of low end torque.

I recently had electricity installed in a detached garage and ordered a 766. I have completed one turning so far. After turning on an old 3 speed lathe I am really impressed with the power and the quietness of this lathe. Love this lathe.

Jay Mullins

Don't sweat the petty things and
    Don't pet the sweaty things