Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Lifting point" in shop ceiling?

Keep in mind that the "load" being lifted is not the total "LOAD" on the attachment point since you have to include the hoist equipment weight and force required to pull on the hoist or whatever which usually has some mechanical advantage and therefore not just double the "load" which should be a safer guess. An electric hoist only has the weight with no additional force. I installed a barn door steel track to ceiling joists and then an electric 200/400 pound hoist from Harbor Freight over my lathe to handle 80+ pound pieces and do not expect to ever get close to the 400# limit. Also any side load on the lift should be factored into the attachment and any track.

Thanks for all the replies. Glad I asked; didn't known about the limitations of hanging loads on I-joists. I'll either rent a shop crane or invite some guests for the weekend and convince them to lend a hand.

I agree with HF's engine hoist. Easy bolt up/ take down and store on casters. My son and friends have yanked several motors from various cars without incident that probably were 450 to 500 lbs.
    I also agree that i joists are NOT designed as a purchase at any point for lifting anything from below the joist(s). The one exception MAY be to span several of the i joists (4 minimum) with a 4x8 solid wood beam and wrap a chain around that beam to rig some sort of hoist, but why bother? Get the engine hoist, you'll sleep better the night before.

Another vote for an engine hoist. I modified mine with a long jib made from Sch 80 galvanized pipe clamped to the lifting arm with a manual winch with aircraft cable and a hanging pulley with a swivel hook. Basically, I have a little crane in the shop. The engine hoist by itself will lift up to 1500 lbs, and the jib will lift about 250. One of the best things I have done- the little bit of money I have invested in the jib I have saved back multifold in beer savings in not having to ask for help.
    Last edited by Bill Ryall; 04-06-2016 at 9:47 PM. Reason: afterthought
    Bill R., somewhere in Maine

We have an engine hoist and it's OK,not great.Meaning it works for some things very well ,others,not so much.A cpl other items not mentioned in above posts(lots a good suggestions,and cautions),masons scaffolding is mighty handy because with braces off on one side,a std body pickup fits inside the footprint.Also can be used on outside of shop an house,heck we set them up as stands for Deer hunting?

Another is adj height steel lally columns.Will leave the details out,but a large plate on top/bttm...and,well you get the idea,or not?

I don't know if no attic means no access, but if that's not the only thing you'll use it for, I'd put a 4x6 across several joists, toenail some screws into the top chords to hold it in place, and make or buy a metal rod of some sort with an eye on the bottom, and nut and washer on the top. They're plenty strong enough for several fat boys to walk on the tops of them when they built it.
    Last edited by Tom M King; 04-08-2016 at 5:43 PM.

^^ You really have to watch what the joists were designed for before making such comments. The way “builders” are going these days, they scrape by on the bare minimum to save every dime they can. “No attic” could very well mean very little allowable live load on the engineered joists - basically just enough support and stiffness to support the drywall ceiling.
    Last edited by Thomas Bank; 04-09-2016 at 9:25 AM. Reason: Clarity

Thomas, you are exactly right. "Bonus" rooms over the garage of new houses are of no use as future living space unless the ceiling joists for the floor below have been designed to hold the additional weight of a second story. I have seen this problem arise too many times to remember. Typically, the addition of a first floor post and beam is required.

9. My GF and I lifted my 19-38 onto its stand -- to try to demonstrate that chivalry still lives, I gave her the light end. Was no problem, and neither of us is beefy.