Thread: Bandsaw blade tracking unevenly

1. Unhappy Bandsaw blade tracking unevenly

Fellow Creekers:

So today I noticed that the blade on the Griz 513 was riding on the front edge of the lower wheel while the blade was tracking on dead center on the upper wheel. This is a new development as the guides were not aligned as they had been. I adjusted the guides and the saw cuts as expected.

Full Disclosure: I had a catch after trying to cut an unsupported edge of a large turning blank. The blade came off the lower wheel and twisted maybe a quarter turn or less to the left, but did not kink. I replaced the blade today but still getting front bottom, center top alignment.

How to treat this?

Wheels not co-planer?

Tires worn out?

Something else?

I don't want to start making adjustments until I know which adjustment to make.

As always I'm grateful for your insights.

Tom, in Douglasville, concerned.
    Tom Hamilton
    Chapel Hill Turning Studio
    Douglasville, GA

Have blanks, will trade

Hoosier by birth, Georgian by choice.

Hi Tom,

Check out this video by Alex Snodgrass. It should answer most of your questions. It is long at 35 minutes but well worth watching. I'm sure many other creekers will agree that it's the best information on setting up a bandsaw. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGbZqWac0jU

I've had 4 bandsaws 2x14" , 1x10", 1x9". after a good tune-up, everyone of them would have the blade riding on the front edge of the lower wheel.I know it may not make sense but they all track/cut perfectly well so I just left their blade the way the were.

I agree with Ken. If it cuts well leave it alone.

I have a 1/8" blade on my 14" band saw that rides on the extreme front of the bottom tire and on the extreme back of the upper tire but it cuts fine.
    No PHD, but I have a DD 214

Glad to see this thread. I just put a new blade on my Rikon 10" bandsaw that I use for small stuff. I always follow the Snodgrass method and noticed the blade tracking on the lower wheel at the front of the wheel. The saw cuts fine. I will have to look at my large bandsaw later.

Every time I hear someone talk about wheels being coplanar I hear Snodgrass whispering in my ear not to worry about that.

Blog Entries
    If the saw cuts as expected I would leave it alone. It is very unlikely that your blade mishap changed your wheel settings. The blade forcing your guides out of alignment would be more likely.

If you experience blade drift the G0513 series are well designed when it comes to adjustments. A hex head screw and washer set keep the lower wheel on so it is basically a one screw deal. Add washers behind the wheel/bearing to achieve coplaner operation. Your manual covers this in the alignments section.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler