Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Humidor Build

Blog Entries

Humidor Build

Good morning!

I am building a humidor and detailing the build on my blog. I hope that you will take a look and post up your comments.

https://brianholcombewoodworkerblog....uild-casework/

Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Looks great! It was not really clear how you planed the mitered edge. Was your guide for the shoulder plane clamped to the workbench edge?

Does your Spanish cedar have that cinnamon or clove like spicy fragrance to it? I found some wood on the curb and think it is spanish cedar and has a nice fragrance, but it was shaped like a handrail.

I don't smoke, but would be interesting if similar principles could be used for a breadbox to keep bread fresh longer.

Very nicely done Brian. Although I will admit that I assumed you would be building a massive walk in somewhere near your work space next to the single malt barrels 😛

Blog Entries
    Thanks fellas! Reinis, I just held onto both, like a football.

Spanish cedar has a distinct smell to it, it's hard to describe but it's very prominent. Spicy is one way to describe it.

Phil, that may well be required if they ever reopen trade with Cuba.

Blog Entries
    Brian, I always enjoy your posts. I haven't had a chance to look at your blog for the details, but the humidor looks like walnut to me. Beautifully planed as usual.Are those mitered, hidden dovetails? Dude, now you are busting out the top-tier joinery – super impressive!

Okay back to cigars, I've smoked cigars since I was in college, something my wife of 30 years has always hated. We lived in Canada and Switzerland for a time and I confess to once having a bad Cuban cigar problem. I told the LOML "it could be worse, it could be drugs, hookers, etc....." . As you can imagine, that went over like a lead balloon! I finally quit about five years ago.

Last week, out of the blue a box of Montecristo #2 arrived in the mail. An old friend I worked with 10 years ago sent them as a thank you for some imagined mentoring I may have provided back in the day. The occasion was the 5th. anniversary of the firm he started. I have no idea why he thinks I have anything to do with that.

This is the dilemma; in my younger days I would consider a box of Montecristo #2's to be like gold, but alas the Boss would be epically disappointed if I started enjoying them again on a regular basis.

I'm thinking boys poker night, whiskey, cigars etc. Blow through the box and I suffer the short-term pain, but I'm in the clear after that. What do you think – solid idea?

Cheers, Mike

Blog Entries
    The best way to handle that is to build a 'men's valet box' that for some strange reason is lined with Spanish cedar, has a humidification device and resides in an unassuming location in the workshop .

It's also best if it remains a 'work in progress' in case anyone is wondering why your cufflinks are not making their way into that box.

Thank you for the comments! Those are hidden mitered dovetails, I've been itching to put them to use on something before I deploy them in a more important project (I have some real casework coming up). They can be a head scratcher at times, but fairly straightforward.

I really enjoy a good cigar, but on a rare occasion, I'm hoping this humidor is capable of aging cigars as that is pretty much the only thing they do....waiting around for a poker night, wedding or other occasion.

Nice, the depth of your humidor is hard to understand, ammo I stack deep but cigars not so much. What are your plans for the interior? I'm sure you will clarify!

As a Canadian I have been able to visit Cuba at will and smoke as many of their cigars as I can afford. They're okay. Honestly the other Caribbean countries make much more consistent and interesting cigars. All Cuban cigars pretty much taste the same with about a 20% success rate, most are mediocre at best and are way over priced. When a Cuban cigar is good it is indeed very good but it is a rarity. Cohibas have been the recent winners in my experience but even in Cuba they are now $20 + a stick for modest profiles.

How will you humidify your box Brian?

Bobalou Cigars in Austin Texas is unpretentious and make fantastic cigars, you won't be disappointed if you try them.

Blog Entries
    Awesome build! I love the smell of Spanish Cedar. I did not know that you had a blog. I will bookmark that. PM me your address and I will send you something to put in that humidor.

Blog Entries
    Thanks fellas!

Chris, I plan to split the interior with a tray, leaving an air gap between the two spaces. The shelf will be made like kumiko for shoji. Using an Elie Bleu humidification device.

Last time I was in Europe my go-to was H.Upmann, but being an American and being limited I generally prefer Davidoff, they're overpriced but always good. Ashton has a few great lines as well.

Malcolm, will do!
    Last edited by Brian Holcombe; 04-02-2016 at 8:23 AM.

Blog Entries
    While we're on the topic of interiors, here is the second post in the series;

https://brianholcombewoodworkerblog....terior-part-1/

Some highlights;

Brian, what neat work you do! And that blog has the quality of a Kubrick film.

I kinda thought that this was going to be your plan, two tills would be nice indeed. The first cigars I brought back from Cuba were H. Upman torpedoes, very nice indeed! Now I want to build another humidor...

Beautiful work Brian!

More beautiful work Brian. You are so talented.

When I see the quality of your work, I always wonder - are you a pro or "just" a really advanced hobbyist?

Fred

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Brian, what neat work you do! And that blog has the quality of a Kubrick film.
    Hah! I nearly fell out of chair with that comment, thanks Mel!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Fournier View Post
    I kinda thought that this was going to be your plan, two tills would be nice indeed. The first cigars I brought back from Cuba were H. Upman torpedoes, very nice indeed! Now I want to build another humidor...

Beautiful work Brian!
    Thanks Chris! I was lucky enough last trip, having asked a good friend who is knee deep in cigars what to buy and he recommended a few of their styles. He told me not to waste money on esplenditos (I couldn't resist a couple of them, but damn....they're painfully expensive), and a few other varieties of Cohiba, Monte Cristo and probably a few others I'm forgetting. They were all splendid but the H Upmann's stood out as being the most suited to my taste.

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    More beautiful work Brian. You are so talented.

When I see the quality of your work, I always wonder - are you a pro or "just" a really advanced hobbyist?

Fred
    Thanks Fred! A good friend calls me 'Insane Hobbyist', and I think that fits. I've done a run of frames for another friend and if you want to improve your skill there is nothing like doing repetitive work to bring you up a notch or two.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Fournier View Post

Bobalou Cigars in Austin Texas is unpretentious and make fantastic cigars, you won't be disappointed if you try them.

Agree on Bobalou's