Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best Insert for Powermatic 66?

A slightly cheaper option is available from Lee Valley.

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    I don't know what "cheap" means, but I got some of these for my PM66 and I like them:

http://www.amazon.com/Leecraft-PM-1-.../dp/B0000223VA

Quote Originally Posted by John Blazy View Post
    you guys so over-engineer everything. don't need to buy an insert online - it just proves your inability to improvise. Just get mdf or 1/2" melamine and put four screws into the bottom and adjust the screws until the throat plate is flush. So easy to make a few of them then raise the blade to cut through. The 1/2" screws allow micro adjustment to flush them with the table. I made one fifteen years ago, and am still using it. made minor adjustments after a few years. The one I made for my dado insert is still good too - its the screws that adjust for flush when the plate warps. Real easy.

sorry if I offended anyone - its easy to overlook the obvious. Just take your existing throat plate, and flush trim a new plate in 1/2" from it as the template. run screws into the bottom where the flats contact. then adjust the screws to flush.

Attachment 334943

Depends on the saw - I recently restored a new to me 1950 Uni. Like couple other TS's I've had in the past I cut a few ZCTP's out of BB. On this Uni I found out there is extensive carving to do on the underside (similar to what you have shown). This takes quite a bit of time especially if you have a few to do.

I recently was fortunate to have found a Betterley Tru Cut Insert for sale in the classifieds. This thing is a beauty! Don't know if there is one available for your saw or not but worth checking out.

Mike

http://woodcentral.com/articles/shop/articles_893.shtml
    This aluminum zci with replaceable inserts can be made with basic woodworking tools. This is truly the best zci you can get. It used to be made by Wood Dynamics and sold for around $120 twelve years ago. They stopped making it.

I made mine from leftover scraps of laminate flooring. They are around 3/8" thick and much stiffer than Baltic birch or MDF. It has a long lasting finish in the top side.

I cut them on the bandsaw and sanded them for fit. A router template would be even more accurate. I drilled and tapped a few holes for some short hex screws for adjustment. The front edge has a small piece of wood glued on to slide under the front edge. I made around a dozen of them at the same time and still have most of them left.

Steve

Ok, Steve, since I want to make friends here more than being a jerk, Ill offer another material idea - from your standpoint of not wanting to purchase whole sheets of anything new, yet want material durable enough.

Have you ever made you own fiber - reinforced composite? Its pretty easy for a small pc like zci. Mix a batch of epoxy, then soak burlap, canvas or a bunch of cotton T-shirts and laminate these together in blank with a few layers of 1/8" re-sawed wood interweaved within, with the top surface layer at least 1/8" thick of your FRP. This will have nearly the same durability as phenolic.

I like Steves idea above of using the super high density flooring - essentially melamine but thinner and denser. I personally would laminate 1/8" aluminum on top of the 3/8" flooring with polyurethane glue (PL Premium). It shouldn't warp. Or laminate aluminum on plywood.

Bottom line, is you want really durable plates, and FRP's are the way to go. You can make your own, if you have the glue and are creative.
    john.blazy_dichrolam_llc
    Delta Unisaw, Rabbit QX-80-1290 80W Laser, 5 x 12 ft laminating ovens, Powermax 22/44, Accuspray guns, Covington diamond lap and the usual assortment of cool toys / tools.

Blog Entries
    I make my inserts with red oak or quarter sawn white oak. It's easy to put a splitter tab in behind the blade slot. You glue it in and it is there to stay.
    Mine has been on my saw for 15 years and is still going strong.

ZCIs are one thing that just irks the snot outta me to spend $20-$25 for, so I make my own. I make them out of whatever is available that should be stable. If I remember right, the first one I ever made was out of some scrap maple. That didn't work very well. It was flatsawn so changes in humidity wreaked havoc with it, but it taught me how easy they can be to make. The next were from MDF. They were . . . ok . . . but MDF seems to soften over time. It seems like it absorbs water and will swell, but when the humidity lowers and the moisture content lowers too, the MDF doesn't shrink back. They were good for a few months though.

I even made one from some scrap steel I had. I had a piece of 3/32 sheet metal laying around, so I cut it to shape, and welded some angle iron to the bottom to keep it flat. Now I certainly couldn't make a zci because I had no way to cut the slot for the blade, so it had a pretty wide slot, but I was able to keep it narrower than what you would find on a stock insert. It was a pita to make since I don't have much in the way of tools for metal working, but I used it on my old Craftsman table saw for quite a while.

The last ones I made (I now have a PM66) were from a scrapped Corian bathroom counter top that my son threw out. Niiiiice. Easy to machine, stable, durable.

For my next ones I think I will machine some plywood down, laminate both sides with some scrap pieces of laminate I have, and see how those work.

Side note: One of the maple zci's I made was one with replaceable inserts. Other than the obvious extra machining steps, it wasn't all that difficult to do either. If I ever get my hands on a 1/2" thick piece of Aluminum I think I will make another one (or two, or three).

Wayne

8. Rude is for Twitter not here !

Quote Originally Posted by John Blazy View Post
    you guys so over-engineer everything. don't need to buy an insert online - it just proves your inability to improvise. Just get mdf or 1/2" melamine and put four screws into the bottom and adjust the screws until the throat plate is flush. So easy to make a few of them then raise the blade to cut through. The 1/2" screws allow micro adjustment to flush them with the table. I made one fifteen years ago, and am still using it. made minor adjustments after a few years. The one I made for my dado insert is still good too - its the screws that adjust for flush when the plate warps. Real easy.

sorry if I offended anyone - its easy to overlook the obvious. Just take your existing throat plate, and flush trim a new plate in 1/2" from it as the template. run screws into the bottom where the flats contact. then adjust the screws to flush.

Attachment 334943
    Please kindly save your rude comments for the “Twitter” crowd... thank you very much

I didn't go through and read all post, but I made mine out of solid surface material. Drilled small holes and tap where put in jack screws to adjust to level of the top. Then turn on saw and raise blade for that 0 clearance, oh yea don't forget you will need to remove it when tilt blade. Don't ask how I know
    I also made one for 45's

How about 3d printing? They do metal now.
    Bill D

I make mine from whatever scraps I have. Bandsaw the shapes, sand edges, and plane them down to 1/32 under thickness and apply hot melt glue to the metal lips on the saw. Press the insert down while glue is still hot using a straight edge to level front to back and side to side. Easy, cheap and a good way to use scraps. I cut several at a time.

I bought a Betterly insert years ago for my Unisaw. I don't know if the make one for a Powermatic but I would recommend that. Mike O'Keefe

I like Leecraft for my PM66.

Quote Originally Posted by David LaRue View Post
    I like Leecraft for my PM66.
    I use Leecraft too with my 66: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000223VA/