Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gloat :)

Like I said on the "other" thread, CONGRATS, Aaron! If how smoothly SMC runs is *any* reflection on your systems skills and talents, you will never go hungry, my friend! Best wishes and continued great luck in both, your career and life!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Congrats Aaron! I am sure it was very hard work, but you have earned a great degree from a wonderful university. The sky's the limit!
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

Congrats Aaron! We won't hold it against you that you are a WAHOO! Actually I have 3 sisters that made the same mistake. When will they ever learn....

If you were only 20 years older, you could have had the pure pleasure of Easters Weekend. Those were the days!
    Mike

Congrats, Aaron. Don't wear that tassel when you're working on the table saw.
    18th century nut --- Carl

Way to go Aaron! I know UVA is a great school, but you live in Williamsburg! How come not W&M? Just curious (my son just started there this year and loves it).
    Dave on Lake Greenwood, SC

Blog Entries
    Way to go! Congratulations. Are you going to go for your Phd?
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Dave,

Aaron actually works at William & Mary. He went into an accelerated Master's program at UVA so he could finish in 1 year. I don't believe that W&M has this type of program.

Jackie Outten

Congratulations Aaron. That's a great degree to have worked for and acquired.

Congrats!!

And to think I work at UVA and did not know you were here!

Congratulations Aaron,
    What an accomplishment, be very proud of it. The best part is you did it while you are young and have the reat of you life to use it. Good on you Aaron.

Roger

Arrow Thanks everyone

Thanks to everyone for the accolades! It means a lot!

Michael,
    You must live too close to Blacksburg. Yep, 252 miles from Herndon, that's too close..

Dave,
    I work at William and Mary as a software developer, so it would have been easy to go here. Heck, they allow staff one class per semester for free. Unfortunately, they don't offer my degree. I might consider them for a PhD.. Who knows?

Carl,
    I will try not to! That could get messy..

Lee,
    That's the intent, but I just have to figure out in what?!

Ed,
    Say, didn't you originally sign up to the 'Creek with a virginia.edu email address?

Vaughn,
    Indeed, this degree is making the wall behind me wilt. I think the frame is 24" wide! (And about 33" tall). It's practically the Bayeux tapestry.
    Systems Engineering embodies a methodology for studying, modeling, and analyzing any kind of complex system. We, for instance, analyzed the various aspects of fully integrating container-on-barge shipping with the existing intermodal transportation system. (Lots of considerations here, as a matter of fact, you can take a look at our report here. We only had 4 days to crank this one out: (http://www.sys.virginia.edu/accelerated/%5Creport2.pdf). It seems systems engineers are mostly employed by government, but I'd be interested to see if any systems engineers in industry could chime in.. I'm still developing software for now

Andy,
    Part of the executive pay plan is that my salary doubles every two weeks here at the 'Creek. I've been running it for, oh, 138 weeks or so; that's 0^(138) = $0.
    _Aaron_
    SawmillCreek Administrator

Aaron,

Congratuations on your accomplishment. I know that it took alot of hard work and dedication to complete this. This is a very big gloat!

I'm a Systems Engineer in a sub-field known as a Systems Architecture. I too started out as a Software Engineer but I moved into the Systems Engineering field while on the job. You indicated that the Government employees most of the Systems Engineers in reallity, most Systems Engineers are employeed indirectly by the Government through various government contractors. There are many of these contractors. A few really big ones that are international sized, and quite a few smaller ones mostly located in DC, Northern Virgina, and Maryland.

Hope the Future brings you much more success.
    Mike

"The only real valuable thing is intuition." - <CITE>Albert Einstein</CITE>

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Koehl

Andy,
    Part of the executive pay plan is that my salary doubles every two weeks here at the 'Creek. I've been running it for, oh, 138 weeks or so; that's 0^(138) = $0.
    Must make it easy at tax time

Thumbs up

Congratulations Aaron on a job well done.
    Life Sure Is Great! Enjoy It.

Awsome, congratulations and keep up the good work you do here too!