Thread: Some shadow boxes for my Eagle son

Some shadow boxes for my Eagle son

First time posting some pictures here. Sorry, they are not the best pictures, still learning that. I made some shadow boxes for son’s Eagle Court of Honor coming up this weekend. Both are 2 ½” x 21 1/2” x 31 1/2” with Plexiglas. Cub Scout one is made from select pine with Minwax Polyshade light oak stain finish and the Boy Scout one is made from oak with a light oak stain with Deft lacquer finish. For the miters I used a plate joiner with #FF biscuit.

John

Last edited by John Jussel; 03-30-2016 at 10:38 PM.

Nice boxes...congratulations to your son.

Very well done Larry...and contragulations to your son as well. It's a great achievement that builds character and skills to last a lifetime. I'm sure you're very proud...and maybe a little happy to get a break from cold camp outs and hard ground!

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Frank View Post
    Nice boxes...congratulations to your son.
    +1 Nice job

John very nice. What is the background material - felt, or ? How are the patches and pins attached - glue or pins, or? I'm making something similar and looking for good way to hold the things in place securely.

Stan, yes the background is felt. I used contact cement to glue it to some 1/2" foam board which was glued to the back board which was either 1/4" hardboard or just 1/4" plywood. I recommend using just your wood glue when gluing the foam board to the back board. Also, I used regular pins to pin each patch.

John