Thread: Wall Shelf Construction Question

Wall Shelf Construction Question

The wall shelf in the picture is Chris Becksvoort's. Does anyone know how its put together? It looks like maybe its just dadoed, but if so, they're really shallow (and its hard to tell regardless).

Maybe this was a Fine Woodworking article a while ago?

Thanks!

wallshelf442-72.jpg

Looks to be a dado half lap from what I can see. I'm no expert though so hopefully someone with more experience can confirm.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoang N Nguyen View Post
    Looks to be a dado half lap from what I can see. I'm no expert though so hopefully someone with more experience can confirm.
    That is how I would do it.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

What's a dado half lap? How about a dado combined with dowells or loose tenons?
    Last edited by Doug Garson; 03-30-2016 at 12:26 PM. Reason: corrected auto spell grrrrrrrrr

I would think it used a cross-lap (what I've always heard it called at least). ...Perhaps combined with a shallow housed joint (dado), so that the edges are better concealed?

What is meant by a dado half lap is that the front half of the vertical members have a shallow dado on each side while the back side of the vertical member is a half lap into which the horizontal board slides. The front have of the horizontal board is also a half lap groove, only the part that is cut out is only as wide as the thickness of the vertical member minus the depth of the two dadoes. So this keeps the intersection of the boards at a 90 degree angle (if your half laps aren't too sloppy) while giving the appearance (at least of the front) of a dado joint without additional buttressing. From the back it would like the horizontal member went straight through the vertical member. I hope that explains it enough. It would be easier to see if I could draw it.
    Dave

Nothing is idiot-proof for a sufficiently ingenious idiot!

Thanks Dave, after I thought about it I thought it might be as you described. I've used half laps (although I didn't know what it was called) just never combined with a shallow dado. Probably a better choice than my suggestion of dado combined with dowels or loose tenons.