Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dueling remotes - Anybody else have this problem?

Dueling remotes - Anybody else have this problem?

I've been setting up my new shop for several months now and am about 80% done. The DC is a Grizzly G0441 3HP cyclone with an infrared remote and has been functional for over a month. The DC is behind a wall but the receiver is mounted on the back wall of my 30 x 30 shop. I recently hung my new Jet AFS-1000B air filter from the ceiling close to a side wall about in the middle of it's length.

Yesterday I turned on the DC with the remote to use my TS and turned it off when I finished. After the DC air noise stopped I realized that the Jet air cleaner was on. Sure enough, either remote control will turn on the DC and the air cleaner. The air cleaner is 11 feet up and it's front, where the infrared pickup is, faces the front of my shop. I know many people think that because infrared is "line of sight" you have to point it directly to work. But a strong signal can bounce or reflect and still be picked up. My TS is rearward of the air cleaner and even though I point the DC remote in the opposite direction the air cleaner will still turn on.

I haven't contacted either manufacturer because I believe they will tell me there is nothing they can do. But I have to believe someone else has had this kind of problem, maybe not with these two exact pieces of equipment though. I actually prefer to have the air cleaner on while I'm working but I don't want it turning off every time I turn off the DC. Any ideas from those of you who may have run into a similar situation would be greatly appreciated.

Blog Entries
    I can think of two solutions:
    1. Put blinders on one or both devices so they can only 'see' the remote from certain directions.
    2. Get into the machines, bypass the IR, and use a different remote like the Long Ranger. Or find an entirely different way to turn one of the machines on and off.

Yea Id look into replacing the remote module with an RF one if possible in the dust collector. That sucks that a dust collector of that price came with an IR remote. Not like RF solutions are expensive.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Do either of the remotes and matching machines have multiple channels or dip switch settings? Maybe you can just set one to a different channel.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    Do either of the remotes and matching machines have multiple channels or dip switch settings? Maybe you can just set one to a different channel.
    Think thats more common with RF remotes. These are IR and those rarely have anyway to adjust the signal.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

I have the same tools and a similar problem; except that if I actually point the tool at just one, only that one is affected. Try using worn out batteries.

Thanks for your comments and suggestions. As Ben points out, I have never seen IR systems with different settings, only some RF units. Roger, I don't think blinders will work in my situation as my walls and ceiling are all bright white. Right now I can point a remote in the opposite direction and it will still turn on either/both devices. Worn out batteries is intriguing but would be hard to control. I will try playing around with putting something semi-transparent on the remotes LEDs like scotch tape to try and limit their output signal. If all else fails I'll bite the bullet and buy the heavy duty Long Ranger system.

Can you turn you air cleaner?

My DC uses an RF remote.

MY 2 air cleaners, both the same Jet Model, use the same remotes. I have a remote at opposite ends of the shop. I have the two air cleaners aligned 180º from each other to aid in circulating the air in the shop when both are on. I can bounce the "signal" off a white shop wall for one at the south end of the shop and yet I have to point it directly at the control panel for the one at the north end of the shop.

Maybe just rotating your air cleaner will relieve the problem.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Ken, my DC uses an IR remote, just like the Jet air cleaner. And the Jet AC is already 180 degrees from the DC receiver, so no help in that regard. Wanna trade for your north wall one?

Honestly, I gave up on "portable remote controls" for this kind of thing years ago and just put a centrally located wall switch for the cyclone that uses a contactor to turn the system off and on. Taking a few steps isn't inconvenient at all and it actually helps keep the pace down which likely helps with "mistake control". And it's unlikely that the wall switch will ever fail like remote controls tend to do over time. I've never gotten around to it, but I'll likely do the same for my air cleaner at some point...right now, I just plug it in at about head-height when I need it to run. (mine is older and doesn't have any form of internal remote control)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

In my small shop I have the switches for my portable 1 HP dust collector and my shop vac on the end of a cord the same length as the hose in a surface mount box with a magnet. That way I can take the switch to my table saw, band saw etc. and turn it on and off as needed.

Could you buy a RF remote that has a IR blaster with it? The sort of thing people would use to control a receiver that is in a cabinet/closet. Then you could just mount the IR blaster in front of one of them and block it off otherwise. Not exactly a free solution, but could probably be done for $20 with junk on ebay. Of course, I'm not sure you would get the right IR codes to work.

My Griz cyclone and Jet AC do the same thing. I am able to point to either and control separately.

I know this is an old thread but I'll risk posting hear. My Grizzly cyclone has IR remote which is slowly dying. I mean it works at times and it doesntl. I tried everything but it either the remote or receiving box. My question is: If I buy one of those add-on RF remotes how will the cyclone know when to turn on? It's currently plugged in to 110V outlet so it has power at all times. I need to either press the button On on the panel or use a remote (50% works). I don't want to buy and later return because this is not going to work. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Arek Kosinski View Post
    I know this is an old thread but I'll risk posting hear. My Grizzly cyclone has IR remote which is slowly dying. I mean it works at times and it doesntl. I tried everything but it either the remote or receiving box. My question is: If I buy one of those add-on RF remotes how will the cyclone know when to turn on? It's currently plugged in to 110V outlet so it has power at all times. I need to either press the button On on the panel or use a remote (50% works). I don't want to buy and later return because this is not going to work. Thank you!

You let remote control a contactor, and contactor controls DC. Contactor can have 110V AC coil, so you don't need a step down transformer for coil. In a couple months, Christmas tree light remotes will be on sale for about ten bucks.