Thread: Bandsaw Tension Gauge - Starrett 682EMZ vs Amada 682EM - Anyone Know About The Amada?

Question Bandsaw Tension Gauge - Starrett 682EMZ vs Amada 682EM - Anyone Know About The Amada?

Now I know many out there do not see a need nor want to own a tension gauge for their bandsaw. I certainly dont feel I need one exactly, but I would like to have one should I find a good deal on one or an inexpensive option. Need aside, the first and Id assume best option out there for such a product would probably be the Starrett 682EMZ. Very pricey little gizmo but in my searching I happened to run across the Amada 682EM, which looks to be an identical unit. The mount/base looks to be the same as the Starretts and the gauge seems setup the same as well just with a different face on it.

8642387-23.jpg s-l500.jpg

But there isnt much of anything on the Amada around the net. Anyone know anything about it? Anyone own one? Anyone know why it looks just like the Starrett?

FWIW I would be using one on a Hammer N4400.
    Last edited by Ben Rivel; 03-29-2016 at 9:04 PM.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Iturra makes one too. I have bought several on ebay for about 150-175. Lenox is another brand. I run big saws and would not be without them. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    Iturra makes one too. I have bought several on ebay for about 150-175. Lenox is another brand. I run big saws and would not be without them. Dave
    Thank you, I was not aware of the Lenox one. Iturra one doesnt seem to be around anymore. Also looks like there is a Morse brand one that looks like the Amada and Starrett.

I have an Iturra and don't find it particularly useful.
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 03-29-2016 at 8:45 PM.

I have the Starrett and have not used any others. The Iturra people did extensive testing and said their inexpensive model worked as well. I suspect any gauge that was calibrated properly would work fine as long as the pivots worked smoothly without binding - they are not much more than a dial indicator and a frame.

You said Iturra was not around any more. Did you try calling their number? They have never had a web site, AFAIK. I've bought many things from them over the years but I haven't tried lately.

When I got the Starrett gauge I quickly found out the gauges built into all the bandsaws I tried were WAY off.

JKJ

I don't think you need one, but I agree it would be nice to have a numerical read-out, for reference, repeatability, or just to know.

I wonder if one could simply use ANY tension meter? Used ones are plentiful & cheap on Ebay. If you got one with the correct tension range, would it not work, as long as you know the correct length to test, and the correct amount of deflection? As John wrote, above " they are not much more than a dial indicator and a frame."

Maybe someone here could post those numbers for us.

Morse also make a high dollar one. Does anyone know the difference (if any) between the Starrett 682EM and the Starrett 682EMZ?

I have the Starrett 682EM that looks exactly like the 682EMZ shown in their catalog.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    I have an Iturra and don't find it particularly useful.
    Interesting, why did you not find it useful?

A quick aside for anyone who cares - Wood Magazine had a neat little plan for a tension gauge within the last 2-3 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rivel View Post
    Interesting, why did you not find it useful?
    It is not as easy to set up as it looks, and I don't find the measurements to be reproducible. If I put it on, take a measurement, take it off, put it back on and take a measurement, it is not the same as the first time. I don't know if that tension gauges, Iturra tension gauges, my Iturra tension gauge, or me.

Never had one and I have resawn thousands of BFT. A tension gauge is money just waiting to be spent on a new blade or two! I ride Ducati motorcycles at the track, they use a belt to drive the valve train. At the dealership we had a $1G plus tool that helped Techs tension the belts, it was a branded guitar tuner. Pluck your B saw blades and use them, get familiar with the hertz and saw away. You can get fancy measuring what your senses know is right, it just costs money that won't really make you better in some cases.

DSC04300.jpgDSC04303.jpgMy Iturra was also inconsistent so I sent it back and Louis fixed it at no charge. You need a decent indicator to get good results. DaveDSC04308.jpg

You can also make one and apparently it works quite well. Search woodgear bandsaw tension in google
    (I don't know if I can post the link here, add http:// in front of woodgears.ca/bandsaw/tension.html)