Thread: Tilting shoe cabinet hardware question

Tilting shoe cabinet hardware question

I made a shoe cabinet using the following bracket set from Lee Valley:

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...,51918&p=46755

One problem I ran into is the fact that when installed the drawer front wants to stay in the open position due to the weight of the drawer front. Instructions do not include anything about how to make sure the assembly remains closed. I thought of using rare earth magnets to keep it closed but I am suspecting there may be an easier way to make this work.

Looking for ideas from anyone who has used this system in the past.

I will be following this thread. I will making shoe storage as the past phase of the closet organizer I am building.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Quote Originally Posted by George Bokros View Post
    I will be following this thread. I will making shoe storage as the past phase of the closet organizer I am building.
    George, I would strongly suggest you do not use this hardware. It is extremely finnicky with zero built in adjustability. I completely regret it and hoping I can salvage it as I am well invested into it in terms if all the work I already put into it. However, if I ever do it in the future I would design my own version with a full extension drawer slide or a different hardware for tilt out. In fact, I am already thinking about changing course on my current build.

Blog Entries
    Since it came from Lee Valley, I would give them a call. They are generally very helpful. I would bet that someone there has the correct solution.

Looking at where the pivot is in the brackets, I would guess that the drawer would stay closed if you filled the top rack first and put the heavier shoes there instead of on the bottom shelf as it is opened.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    Since it came from Lee Valley, I would give them a call. They are generally very helpful. I would bet that someone there has the correct solution.

Looking at where the pivot is in the brackets, I would guess that the drawer would stay closed if you filled the top rack first and put the heavier shoes there instead of on the bottom shelf as it is opened.
    I e-mailed Lee Valley and waiting for a response from them. I was hoping someone here to have experience with this setup.

I considered your idea but it is not a fail safe design, in other words it should not remain open when unloaded. Some counterweight at the bottom may help with it, but adds complication.

Maybe add a small bungee cord behind the drawer to pull it closed? We have one that my wife bought at Ikea before we met and it works just fine, no bungee's though...

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Wilde View Post
    Maybe add a small bungee cord behind the drawer to pull it closed? We have one that my wife bought at Ikea before we met and it works just fine, no bungee's though...
    Steve, I am thinking of a magnetic catch such as the one at the following link:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=686948011#Ask

Does your Ikea unit have any hardware like this, or another way of keeping the caddy closed?

Frank,
    No magnetic catches on the ikea unit, it's pretty cheap to tell you the truth. The hardware is mounted pretty low on the doors so it's weighted correctly to stay closed. It doesn't close on it's own though, but I don't think that's really needed. If you want pics let me know.
    Steve