Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Turner!! help me out!!

New Turner!! help me out!!

Hey guys, I'm sure this isn't the first time seeing these questions but everyone is different and I'm hoping you guys could give me some tips. So, I'm a very handy person and I've always loved working with wood. Right now the idea of wood turning is only an interest but I'm hoping to turn it into a hobby and see where it goes from there. I am interested in making bowls and even large artistic vases plus messing around with small things like spoons or razor handles to hone skills. I know that the large vases would require a large lathe and i wanted you opinions on something like the Laguna REVO 20-36. This type and size is quite expensive and I'm wondering what else besides scrapers and chisels would i need or you think would be a smart purchase? I'm in the santa barbara CA area and have been looking for someone around here that i could use as a mentor to learn and come to when i have questions. thanks a lot guys.

Best thing you can do is join a turning club with the AAW. Look for one nearby here:
    http://www.woodturner.org/?page=Chapters

you can get mentoring through a club and they may even have a loaner lathe to try it out.

Doug

thanks a ton Doug! this is a start!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Menzel View Post
    ... Right now the idea of wood turning is only an interest... i wanted you opinions on something like the Laguna REVO 20-36. ... I'm wondering what else besides scrapers and chisels would i need or you think would be a smart purchase? I'm in the santa barbara CA area and have been looking for someone around here that i could use as a mentor to learn and come to when i have questions. thanks a lot guys.
    Doug's suggestion to join a local club is a good one.

If money is no object, you'll enjoy the Laguna as it is a good upper end lathe. If you want to make sure that wood turning is for you and that it fits into your interests and life style, then perhaps you may want to start off with a good but less expensive lathe. Who knows? Maybe you'll love wood turning and maybe you won't.

As far as tools go, you'll probably end up with at least a few dozen tools besides scrapers - - some of which you will use for special situations and some which you'll use frequently. Plus faceplates, chucks, live centers, drive centers, dust collection systems, hollowing systems (probably needed for vases), compressed air, etc.

BTW, you can learn a lot from the many good Youtube videos.

Hello Jeff.
    I have owned the Laguna 2436 lathe for a little over one year now. It is my third and believe final lathe.
    I started with a small 12x27 Steel City granite lathe and I was totally hooked on turning. I then moved up to a Jet 1642 1-1/2 hp. While this was a huge improvement, in a few years, I was soon looking at premium lathes, namely Oneway 2436 and the Robust American Beauty. I was almost ready to take the plunge on the Oneway, but then saw the Laguna advertisements in the woodturning mags and decided to check the out. I found one at the Woodwerks store in Columbus Ohio and was quite impressed. For about 1/2 the price I got a lathe with basically the same specifications as the Oneway. Now I don't pretend that the Laguna is equal to the Oneway but for all my needs it has been outstanding. Power and capacity are there of course but it is the mass of the lathe (800lbs.) that makes it so much nicer to turn on. Even with smaller projects, the stability is awesome. May I suggest if you are considering the Laguna 2036 spend the additional $400 for the 2436. You gain another HP, 4 more inches of swing, and the tailstock swingaway which is outstanding.
    I wrote a review on the 2436 about a year ago here on the creek if you'd like to read it.
    Good luck on yourlathe selection and purchase.

Thanks brice, I'm what kind of lathe would you suggest? money is always an object but i don't want to let that affect what I'm trying to do. i know i will have plenty more tools ill need and I'm sure ill learn about them as i hone the craft. thanks for the youtube idea!! i am a visual learner and since i can't find many turners in my city this will be a huge help.

thanks Carl, ill definitely check out the 24-36. what would you recommend if i started out on something smaller? i just don't want to feel as though I'm wasting a ton of money since i want to focus on larger vases and bowls. i know i need hands on practice so I'm not opposed to it but i like to jump into things and I'm a very fast learner.

Jeff:

Update your profile so everyone on this forum knows approximately where you're located. That goes a long way to help you find a turning club, or even local Sawmill Creek Turners who live near you. They may be able to help out.
    Last edited by Mark Greenbaum; 03-28-2016 at 1:14 PM.
    Maker of Fine Kindling, and small metal chips on the floor.
    Embellishments to the Stars - or wannabees.

9. You may want to consider taking a wood turning course. If there is a WoodCraft in your area, see if offer any classes. You could also take a course with any number of accomplished and nationally recognized turners. That's one way to get your feet wet and try it out before dropping a whole bunch of money on a lathe and tools.

thanks Carl, ill definitely check out the 24-36. what would you recommend if i started out on something smaller? i just don't want to feel as though I'm wasting a ton of money since i want to focus on larger vases and bowls. i know i need hands on practice so I'm not opposed to it but i like to jump into things and I'm a very fast learner.
    As I mentioned I bought my first lathe,(small) an inexpensive set of tools and I entered into the new to me world of woodturning. I made lots of projects with that first lathe and even more with the Jet 1642. Now I have what I need to do anything that may come along.
    But... your dilemma it seems is not knowing how you will take to woodturning. In my case, looking back I wish I had bought the large lathe in the first place.
    The Laguna kind of offers a comprimise in that you aren't spending 7to 8K on a premium lathe. Laguna also offers an 1836 lathe that has received great reviews. John Keeton here on the creek purchased one and posted an outstanding review.
    Also Grizzly just introduced two new lathes G0799 GO800 that look exactly like the Laguna 2036 and 2436 lathes. They are cheaper in price but when you figure in $400 for shipping it's a wash.
    Also I believe Woodcraft has a 10% off sale on Laguna lathes.
    Another note on tools buy only what you need but when you do, buy quality. I have various brands but really like D-way tools. I have bought two unhandled. I don't thing you can beat his parting tool. Very unique design.

Jeff, I looked at the map of the American Woodturners association and see that there is club in Ventura called the Channel Islands Woodturners . Here is a link to its web address: http://www.channelislandswoodturners.org/ Their next meeting is April 16. Tom Edwards, from the San Diego Woodturners club (to which I belong) is going to be presenting. He is a sharp and talented guy.

yea i found it yesterday. its relatively close and I'm already planning on attending to ask some questions and meet the guys. super excited. thanks

yea i found it yesterday. its relatively close and I'm already planning on attending to ask some questions and meet the guys. super excited. thanks
    One thing I think you will find Jeff, is that turners are some of the nicest and most supportive people you will meet. Dive right in and enjoy the learning.

Doug

I've been looking at some of the artwork on instagram and one of them actually referred me to this website and so far its not hard to believe that they are great people lol

Welcome Jeff! I didn't see anyone address deep hollowing, but that requires some specialized skill and equipment. There are various styles, but I'd recommend starting with a goose-neck hollowing tool and doing a few smaller hollow forms before getting too deep (literally and figuratively). And that would only be after getting familiar with turning in general. For basic turning, carbide tools seem to be often recommended for beginners for various reasons, and they are useful tools at any skill level.