Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Don Bosco School

Don Bosco School

I recently spent 6 weeks in the Ecuadoran Andes, traveling city to city and village to village. In the tiny pueblo of Isinlivi, balanced on a ridge13,000' feet up in the mountains at the end of 50 K of hairpin dirt road I came across a school and tradition of woodworking of striking sophistication and quality -- and had to share this discovery with the folks here, who can best appreciate precise craftsmanship in solid wood.

As soon as I walked into the Llullu Llama Hostal I was struck by the quality of the woodworking in all the furnishings -- big hand-cut dovetails holding the front counter together, curved through tenons gracing the table tops where the legs joined from below, beautifully-fitted wedged through tenons fastening chair parts and generally sophisticated, precisely cut joinery in curvilinear designs. Virtually all surfaces featured hand carving, structural elements would be finished in a series of perfectly-matched, parallel shallow grooves, but show surfaces featured elaborate and geometrically complex carving.

I asked my host where he got the furniture and he pointed up the hill to the Don Bosco shop. The next day I hiked up to see if I could look in a window and instead met one of the craftsmen who gave me a tour of the operation and I realized I had stumbled across something rather special that I had never heard of before.

Don Bosco furniture is designed in Italy and built in small shops in the Andes -- in Peru, Bolivia and Ecuador -- out of two species of solid wood by small groups of craftsmen who study under a master for 6 years. I visited two shops and saw that their power tools (jointers, planers and table saws) were big ancient iron sitting on dirt floors, often jury-rigged, wedged and shimmed.

But the product is crafted with precision in a clearly-defined, elegant design as characteristic and skill dependent in its own way as the American Arts and Crafts movement. Yet as well established as the tradition is in the Andean communities, it seems almost unknown in North America and Europe. They just don't export much.

However, small pueblos in the Andes have Don Bosco woodworking throughout: Church doors, pews, altars; many homes have accent pieces: tables, chairs, buffets. I saw more quality, solid wood furniture in these tiny mountain villages than you would find in half the homes in Canada.

Later when I got to a place with wi-fi, I googled Don Bosco and found that he was a Catholic priest very much involved in enabling the underprivileged, so added to the beautiful and skilled design tradition is a context of social consciousness and economic liberation that I found pretty powerful.

And I could not think of a group that could appreciate this more than the craftspeople at the Creek. You can google Don Bosco Woodworking to find more, but I took a few photos to share here.

_WEW1333.jpg _WEW1316.jpg _WEW1317.jpg _WEW1328.jpg

Blog Entries
    Nice story. Wish I could travel like that.

VERY cool story, thanks for sharing. Sounds like a woodworkers dream to stumble on a place like that, on an adventure in the Andes no less!

When I read your thread title I immediately thought of Don Bosco HS in New Jersey, whom I ran against in XC and track while in HS (Pope John XXIII).

Fascinating story. Thanks for telling us about it Warren!
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 03-26-2016 at 8:16 AM.

Nice find! Thanks for sharing.

Warren, great stuff! What is the table designed to be used for? Its got some interesting features, and you have to look really closely to see all the carving.

Stan -- like all the Don Bosco furniture I saw, it was for daily use. That low round table sat in front of some "living room" chairs and folks were putting their drinks on it while chatting.

Warren I meant the other one with the small box on top. Looks like it has a glass top and another level or a stringer below it, and baskets on the ends.

Oops. I think it is a dining table -- it was set up that way, anyway. With my weak Spanish, the conversation was kind of one-sided.

I'm curious as to what species of wood is common there? Do the locals have small saw mills in the area?

Thanks for sharing this. I always find inspiration in these stories about craftsman working in what we might call crude third world settings yet turning out exquisite furniture and elegant joinery. Gives me a little bit of willpower to resist all the must-have gadgets and jigs that show up in the Rockler and Woodcraft catalogs. Gotta concentrate a little more on building deeper skills with the basic tool kit.

I too am curious about the wood species they are using. What a kick it would be to spend a few days hanging around their shop watching their methods of work.

Don Bosco had, and may still have, trade schools around the world as well. They were run by the Salesian Brothers and besides woodworking taught several other trades. Unfortunately my high school downsized and then finally closed many years ago. Not sure if this shop has anything to do with them or not, but was interesting seeing the name pop up anyway.

JeffD

Jeff:

I think it is the same Don Bosco.

As for the wood species, I will try to find out -- they did name the two species but they were the Spanish names, and I struggle in Spanish.

OK:

One of the species is "lenga," apparently also called Patagonian Cherry -- and is similar to American Cherry.

"It is considered worldwide as a
    hardwoodthat has excellent features for the furniture craftsmanship, such as carving, gluing, profiling, staining and finishing."

Amazing story, and beautiful furniture.

Maybe I'm "misreading" the pictures, but it looks like there's a texture on the surfaces. It looks almost like they took a gouge and carved across the surfaces in straight lines. Am I seeing that correctly? very interesting aesthetic.