Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question about Vectrics software

Thanks. Gerry, I finally watched enough tutorial videos that explained the way the software works. It is facinating to see things happen on the screen.

Gotta find some money and get working on some wood!

To explain a little, I spent most of 30 years in my previous business buying equipment with more capabilities than I needed at the time. Most of the time that strategy worked well for me.

To some extent, I'm thinking it won't take too long to run into something that I'll need the higher end software to produce.
    Paul
    These words are my opinion, WYLION. Any resemblance to truth or fiction is accidental at best.
    "Truth lies dormant in our future history." ― Paul Lawrence LXXI

Question

Hope I'm not being a bother, but now I have been drawing some objects with VCarvePro Trial to see what I can accomplish. The end goal is a panel that looks somewhat like the profile of a molded plastic case edge.

I easily recreated my original sketch from my post in #9 above. I went ahead and applied a cutout path and then duplicated it to create the chamfered edge with a 90'V, 1/16" depth and a -1/16" offset to the outside cut.

However, I can see that getting the same chamfered edge with rounded corners on the backside would be somewhat challenging in the router while considering getting the part indexed back to a common zero point. (There is no "fit" involved. The chamfered edge is strictly cosmetic.)

Creating that small chamfer on the backside after the part is cutout with rounded corners would be impossible for me to do right on a router table.

So, I've led myself into the conclusion that the part really has to be cut to size and the edges chamfered before any other work is done to it (like cutouts or holes.) This adds problems (in my inexperienced CNC router mind) with clamping on finished surfaces, the chamfer won't follow the rounded corner, etc.

That kind of takes some of the production value out of putting the raw wood in the CNC router and turning out the finished cut part.

Is my thinking right? I value your opinion.

PanelRoundedChamfered.jpg
    Paul
    These words are my opinion, WYLION. Any resemblance to truth or fiction is accidental at best.

Paul...
    All of what you wish for should be easily attainable. Developing an index system for 2 sided machining is commonplace, should the part require that. Think of 2 "stations" if you will. One where one side is completely machined and the parts outer profile is cut. The other where the removed part is set into a machined recess for the flip side machining.

If you proceed with CNC routing, you will find that part or material hold down is a significant portion of the process. There is no one method that works for all operations and all hold down methods have drawbacks. Its all part of the learning curve. Rest assured that your part is more than doable. That said, I am not sure that I would set up a second machining station for a simple chamfer that may be most efficiently done with a table mounted router unless there were additional operations on the flip side of the part.
    Gary Campbell
    CNC Replacement & Upgrade Controllers
    Custom 9012 Centroid ATC

Creating that small chamfer on the backside after the part is cutout with rounded corners would be impossible for me to do right on a router table.
    I'd use a small 45° bearing guided bit in a laminate trimmer, and have the backside chamfered before you even have it mounted to your fixture.
    Or the same bit in the router table.
    Remember that a CNC is not always the best tool for the job.
    Gerry

JointCAM

I am listening. Thank you very much. You've encouraged me. Now the finances.
    Paul

You might try a program like MOI Cad.....http://moi3d.com/ if your looking for a relatively in-expense Cad program that offers a little more power for stranger things than what Sketchup will do. Our program of choice is Rhinoceros or FormZ if your wanting true 3D capability in nurbs format with just about total control........ if you can think it.... you probably can draw it with enough skill.......we primarily use Rhinocam and MadCam for our Cam work but do have a number of others including Aspire. (Sketchup and Autocad as well as Aspire basically operate from mesh Cad files which are somewhat more difficult to modify than a nurbs file.... not impossible but much more difficult to do free form curves etc......We can use Sketchup drawings in Rhinoceros as a mesh file but our Cam software is limited to it's capability as meshs so we go through a process to convert the files to nurbs curves ..... we first convert the SKP files to 3DS files then we convert from the 3DS mesh to a Solid and from there we can generate our nurbs curves and modification becomes much easier )

Aspire is a great program for the price........ a lot depends on where your wanting to go with your drawings/files, CNC cutting/shaping/carving and your skill level... there are a number of programs that offer more CAM power than Aspire but again price and what it offers..... ultimately what is your goal? What you show in your post is basically a 2D or 2.5 machining.....you can do it with 3D machine but not necessary.

kevin
    MBFoot Legs.jpgChair Seat.jpgRear Chair Joint.jpgGesu King Joseph Violin Wireframe 3D.jpgDel Gesu.jpg
    Last edited by Kevin L. Waldron; 03-30-2016 at 12:05 AM.

I don't have enough life left to get into too much 3D! First time I've heard of "MOI Cad". That looks very interesting for all the reasons you've stated.

My plans are short term for now with "2D or 2.5 machining" being as far as I'll commit to until I get some ground under me. I always look at software before hardware.

Mostly, I think of 3D carving on wood, but I doubt that I'll get much production out of it.

I've found a Makerspace in the area, so I may see if I can learn enough to pass it on to a couple of youngsters.
    Paul