Thread: 2.5 HP Cyclone Dust Collector or 3 HP 2 bag dust collector

2.5 HP Cyclone Dust Collector or 3 HP 2 bag dust collector

I am looking at upgrading from my current harbor fright dust collector and have found 2 dust collection systems on craigslist being sold locally. I am not sure if I should spend $800 on a double cyclone 2.5 hp Oneida system (Model XXP020100) or 300 on a 2 bag 3 hp shop fox system (W1687).

Is the cyclone system worth an extra $500? I currently have 40 ft of 4 inch pvc connected to a 12 inch planer, cabinet saw, chop saw etc. I only use one machine at a time and have limited ceiling height. All I can tell you is the harbor freight dust collector, with a wynn filter, is not doing the job as I am covered in dust after planing cutting etc. Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

Not only is the cyclone worth the upgrade, going from shop fox to Oneida is a good choice.

However, planets generate a lot of heavy chips and running them far from the dc means you need serious power. I get the best results having a dedicated dc for my jointer and planer. A cheap one with a coarse filter is all I need for that.
    Last edited by Prashun Patel; 03-26-2016 at 9:55 AM.

The 2 1/2 hp cyclone is a better bet for collection and filtration, however you will choke the system by using only a 4" duct. You will need to upgrade to a 6" main duct with 6" connections to each machine. A compromise that many of us use is a 6" main with a short 4" flex duct off the main to each machine.

Blog Entries
    Easy decision. While a bagger will out-perform a cyclone for a given power rating, that is not the decision maker at all.

Will you be returning the air to your work area (or any enclosed area occupied by air breathing life forms)? If so, the cyclone is your choice.

If you put a fine enough filter on a bagger to make the return air safe it would clog so often you would stop being a 'woodworker' and become a 'filter cleaner' .
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler