Thread: Kobra

Kobra

Does anyone on here know if Jerry and Al are still in business and still manufacturing the Kobra hollowing system?

read a thread on the AAW forum back in February - the poster had just received his Kobra after a very long wait.

since links to other forums are not allowed...here's a cut-n-paste of the post:

"Hi guys and gals. After 2 years and 11 months I just recieved an email, stating that I made it to the top of jatooling's list. It has been a long wait. However, I had many other projects to keep me busy, as I took up segmented turning a couple of years ago. The guys contacted me about a month ago, and have sent several email's since, to get the order right. It appears that they are ready to ship the system to me. Since it took so long I am buying about every option that they have to offer. The basic system with 1 inch bar and 3 (3/16 inch tips) is $700, set of 3 (1/4 inch tips) is $125, laser is $140, 5/8 bar, (one 9 inches long and one 12 inches long) and 3 tips are $140, adaptor sleeves are $45 each, Hunter style tip and cutters are $65 each, round scraper tip is $75, and large 1 3/8 x 24 inch long bar is $275. This all ads up to a lot of money. However, after talking to Jerry I am not sure how long into the future they will be making the system, and after checking several other web sights for accessories that would fit the Kobra bars, and knowing what the local machine shop charges per hour for work, it looked like their price for accessories wasn't too out of line. Therefore I have spent a lot of money, for what I hope to be a very good deep hollowing system. And after all, how do you put a value on tools for a hobby, RIGHT??? I am very excited to try the system. Now all I have to do is find some logs that are not too split up. Here is a picture of my last two segmented projects."

so it appears they are still being made.

for now.

I don't know about the Kobra situation. However if your looking for a Heavy Duty captured boring bar system for Deep hollowing check out Advanced Lathe Tools system made by Steve Sinner. I've been using it for around 8 years now. He makes a number of different size bars. The largest one will allow you to Hollow up to 30" deep or so.