Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grizzly Planer

Grizzly Planer

Thinking about a purchasing a new Grizzly Planer G0453 15''. Any body purchased one lately?? Pro's-con's Thought about the Dewalt 2 speed 13'' but would prefer the larger sized planer.Thanks Mike

I've had mine for a few years. Love it. Great power - I had a dewalt lunchbox before, and the endless passes taking off a smidge each time were mind numbing. This thing actually seems happier when I make heavier cuts and gives a better surface. Very light cuts can leave roller imprints, which I know can be eliminated by adjusting roller pressure, but it's never been an issue for me worth fiddling with. Great dust collection. Ran perfectly right out of the crate. I can't think of a single thing about it that I'd change.

Ken

If you want to take off 3/16" you are fine but if you only want to take off 0.020", a cast iron planer will often leave marks on the wood from the infeed roller. I have never been able to adjust my planer so it didn't do that. My lunchbox planer will do that just fine so I use both.

That's why you have a drum sander. I do recall reading that the new G0453 has an rubber outfeed roller. It doesn't say that in the catalog though. A call to CS would confirm that. That should help with the planer marks. I own one and would buy it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Cary Falk View Post
    That's why you have a drum sander. I do recall reading that the new G0453 has an rubber outfeed roller. It doesn't say that in the catalog though. A call to CS would confirm that. That should help with the planer marks. I own one and would buy it again.
    The spec sheet shows rubber outfeed roller. http://cdn1.grizzly.com/specsheets/g0453zw_ds.pdf

I have the g0453z with helical head,it does a great job,you will need good dust collection I can fill up a 32 gallon garbage can in no time at all.

Actually the marks are caused by the Infeed roller which is serrated to grip the wood . The out feed roller is smooth if it's not rubber coated. I have a rubber Infeed and smooth out feed roller on my planer and can take off half a pencil line without indenting the board.
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Jenkins View Post
    Actually the marks are caused by the Infeed roller which is serrated to grip the wood . The out feed roller is smooth if it's not rubber coated.
    Not on the Grizzly and most other similarly made 15" and 20" planers. The outfeed roller is serrated steel, except in the very newest Grizzly (the one with model number ending in "W" - G0453W or G0453ZW) which has a rubber outfeed roller. You can, with enough trial and error, back off the outfeed roller pressure enough to eliminate or nearly eliminated the roller marks.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Jenkins View Post
    Actually the marks are caused by the Infeed roller which is serrated to grip the wood . The out feed roller is smooth if it's not rubber coated. I have a rubber Infeed and smooth out feed roller on my planer and can take off half a pencil line without indenting the board.
    Steve, what planer do you have? Did you replace the infeed roller with a rubber coated one?

Some people have replaced their roller with a rubber coated one from Delta. The part ain't cheap though.
    I suppose Grizzly's might be cheaper now that they are making one.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bartley View Post
    Steve, what planer do you have? Did you replace the infeed roller with a rubber coated one?
    I have a 20"felder. It came with rubber coated rollers on both Infeed and out feed. They were starting to get gummy due to age so when I replaced them I used a steel one for the outfield due to the cost of the rubber ones.
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    Some people have replaced their roller with a rubber coated one from Delta. The part ain't cheap though.
    I suppose Grizzly's might be cheaper now that they are making one.
    The Grizzly rubber outfeed roller for the 15" planer is about $56 but isn't currently available for shipment. http://www.grizzly.com/parts/P0453W065

I could get no information from Grizzly to indicate whether the rubber roller could be used to replace the steel roller in the older planers, but for $56, I'm inclined to order one and see whether it will work or not. I'd be very surprised if the dimensions on the rubber roller were any different than the steel roller.

I've got a relatively new G0453 with the helical head. Absolutely love it! I had to remove the foam strip on the top cover to get the dust collection to work right, but it has been a champ since then. I also get INFEED roller marks when doing light passes. I have it adjusted for pretty light pressure, but still get roller prints when taking a really light pass. The outfeed roller doesn't imprint like that.

I called Grizzly to see if the new rubber outfeed roller would fit mine, but they said it was a no-go. If I ever get fed up with the infeed imprinting enough I may pull it out and plasti-dip it, but I work mostly with rough-sawn wood so I imagine it wouldn't last very long.

Find a machine shop to turn it down and send it to western roller to have it coated.

Quote Originally Posted by Cary Falk View Post
    Find a machine shop to turn it down and send it to western roller to have it coated.
    Didn't know such a place existed. Thanks for the lead! I sent them an email asking for prices and suggested material for the coating.