Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bandsaws & mobile base - need advice

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    I can't find the thread but some bandsaw owner made a model base of cement. It was ingenious! Just make a form out of 2x4's and pour it. Then, drill the bottom for casters and the top for bolts or studs to secure the machine. For some reason, there is a stigma about using cement in or with ww'ing machines but actually, it's ideal. Inexpensive, never rusts, adds a ton of stability, and you can custom make any size you need. That's would I would do if it were my machine.

Erik
    I helped move a Martin T54 Jointer into a second story millwork shop many years ago. That thing proved to be extremely heavy, surprisingly so. When we got it into position I started to go over the machine in detail. Surprise surprise the sheet metal base was poured full of concrete. Back in the day it was in the $30000.00 ballpark, Martin had no qualms about concrete either!

If there was a like button I would push it on Erik's post,that is a neat ideal-----Carroll

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Fournier View Post
    I helped move a Martin T54 Jointer into a second story millwork shop many years ago. That thing proved to be extremely heavy, surprisingly so. When we got it into position I started to go over the machine in detail. Surprise surprise the sheet metal base was poured full of concrete. Back in the day it was in the $30000.00 ballpark, Martin had no qualms about concrete either!
    Yep. That's why you can barely feel them run. SCM sticks big concrete castings in the base of many sliding table saws but Martin, I believe, uses it in all their machines.

There was a Minimax customer once who actually cemented his bandsaw in place. As in, "poured concrete around the base". Not sure if I would go that far.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

In setting up my new shop my Rikon 18" BS is out in the middle of the floor so I wanted to make it mobile. I took the liberty of "borrowing" the idea of the system on my Grizzly jointer and planer. I'm also fortunate enough to have some basic metal working equipment. The pedal assembly is well within the overhang of the table so walking around the BS is not an issue. The 2nd pic shows the pedal assembly in the mobile position which only raises the BS about 1/4 inch.
    Attached Images Attached Images

The best mobile bases are the semi-live skid designs which is why you see it used on so many European machines.

It raises the machine only a tiny amount, is available in unlimited weight capacities, and the machine is extremely stable once you put it in place.

It's also the least expensive option............Regards, Rod.

My 24" bandsaw has built-in wheels that allow me to put the bandsaw against the wall and then pull it out when I want to use. Even on wheels it is very heavy to push/pull it so there is absolutely no unwanted movement; it is very stable.

My PM1500 sits on a ShopFox D2058A since the day I uncrated it in my garage. Really convenient to be able to move the machine out of the way, out into the driveway for big jobs or whatever else.

I plagiarized Mike's mobile base when I got a 19" saw several years ago. As noted by another poster, I don't move my very much - mostly for cleaning - so I haven't experienced any issues from the high center gravity of the bandsaw.

Here's a link to what I think it the original post: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...se-for-Bandsaw

Mitchell

Quote Originally Posted by David Davies View Post
    THAT'S THE ONE!

Thanks, Dave.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

As I was thinking about this concrete and recognizing that most of my machines are mobile through the use of a narrow fork pallet jacket couldn't you form in channels for the forks of the pallet jack in a concrete base and eliminate the need for casters? You'd probably need some way to level the top/bottom of the concrete base though.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by David Davies View Post
    As I was thinking about this concrete and recognizing that most of my machines are mobile through the use of a narrow fork pallet jacket couldn't you form in channels for the forks of the pallet jack in a concrete base and eliminate the need for casters? You'd probably need some way to level the top/bottom of the concrete base though.

Dave
    I would drill the underside and epoxy in threaded inserts or studs. From there, install leveling casters such as the Zambus, like many owners already use. So, you would not necesarily have to be any expert at pouring forms as long as you can drill reasonably straight.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep