Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jointer knives 7/64 vs 1/8 thick

Jointer knives 7/64 vs 1/8 thick

I recently bought an old used Geetech CT-150 6 inch jointer. I cleaned it up and it works great but one of the blades has a significant chip in it.

I ordered a new set of knives from Global Tooling out in Oregon and when I went to replace them last night I learned that the new ones are just a little thicker than the existing. The new ones are 1/8 and the old ones are 7/64. I can barely get them started into the cutter head, but I'm worried about pounding on the new blades (and cutting myself) trying to force them in. I can't seem to find anywhere on the internet 7/64 thick knives/blades.

Any tricks? Am I out of luck?

Can we assume that you have the cleaned out completely? I wouldn't suggest forcing them for sure...not only is there the injury potential that you mention, but such a tight fit may also compromise your ability to adjust the knife height.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Do not use anything but what the manufacturer calls for.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

How about sending the chipped knifes for sharpening.Then track down another set.
    If they are too thick your may not be able to tighten them.

That's the trouble... I don't know what the manufacturer calls for. The "manual" that came with it is super generic. Maybe an outcome of Geetech being a manufacturer for multiple brands back in the day? Sunhill I know was one of them.

Does anyone know where I can find knives that are 7/64 thick? I am not coming up with anything. I must not be entering the right things into the search engines.

They are heavier than the machine was designed for. I wouldn't want to be near something that was heavier than the design called for when it is spinning that fast.

Only similar thing I've seen ,and I'm sure others here too, is the big machines used to be made for 5/32 " thick knives. All the newer ones seem to be made for 1/8. I would call one of the full service old suppliers ,maybe Schmidt , and see what they know and what they sell.

I just called Global Tooling to see what their thoughts were. They do have 6 1/8" long blades that are 3/32 thick. I don't know if the extra 1/8" length is similarly detrimental -- looks like there's more than enough room. At least the 3/32 thick knives would be 1/64 thinner rather than thicker and they'd slip into the head and be able to be tightened.

Thoughts from the more experienced?

Sounds like same thing only different, I would use those. But don't buy " HSS " insist on real M-2 .or T-1 HSS ,well worth the litte extra money. Everybody seems to push the cheap stuff rather than lose a sale to a competitor. Never seen a little difference in knife length make any difference, many are sold that are a tad short and you just stagger them. Just make sure there is clearance.
    Last edited by Mel Fulks; 03-22-2016 at 6:34 PM.

Okay, I'm going to jump in as a contrarian. The blades from Global are 1/64" thicker. Given the density of steel, by my calculations that additional thickness for three knives adds 4.6 grams to the mass of the cutter head, which, if 2 inches in diameter and 6 inches long, has a weight of about 2500 grams.

So, the new knives add less than 0.2% (2/1000) mass to the cutter. I seriously doubt that safety margin is so tight that the cutter is likely to disintegrate or spin off pieces because of that slight increase in weight.

I agree with Jim in suggesting that you clean out the cutter head slots, as well as the gibs/wedges and lock screws. I suspect that the tightness could be due to there being crud/dust buildup on the threads of the lock screws, preventing them from going into the wedges any further to allow additional width.

When I bought my Ridgid jointer, as well as a previous Sears jointer off CL (both with a generic blade holding design) I cleaned up all the cutter head parts, and have never had any problems with tightness with either one- there's easily more than 1/64" extra room without forcing the locking screws.

If you can get it so that you can fit 1/8" thick knives, I's say go with them- they're a lot easier to find, and probably a lot cheaper, than 7/64" knives. Just my $ .02

Woodworkers Supply used to have the thinner knives. I'm not sure if they still do or not now. Personally, I wouldn't worry about that extra thickness either. You might have to thin down a wrench to tighten with though. I had to do that with an old Delta that I've been running 1/8" knives on for 40 years that was designed for thinner knives.

I tend to agree with John, and would likely use them. Tough to tell for sure without really seeing everything though. 1/64 is not much of a difference.

Found these: http://www.americannationalknife.com/2To7.asp

3/32 should work if 1/8 just won't go

Blades 1/8" wider are ok to use, especially when setting them to the rabbeting ledge.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Thanks for all the advice! Global Tooling was really nice on the phone and happy to give me an RMA so I can get a refund on the knives I can't use.

I did carefully clean out the cutter head and the lock bar (or whatever its proper name is) and all the bolts and the 2 springs. 1/64 is barely any difference, but when everything is well milled metal, there's no room for error. I have swapped the old blade back and forth a number of times just to make sure I'm not crazy and it slips right in when the new 1/8" thick ones won't.

I did think about grinding down the heads of the locking bolts, but ordering 3/32" blades seems like a less error prone solution. I just can't find reference to 7/64 anywhere on the net.