Thread: Looking for wood in different places

Looking for wood in different places

My wife and I will be driving from Col. thru Kansas and Ok. to Texas and back next month and was wondering if anyone on this page knows where I may get some wood that does not grow in Colorado. I know I will be looking for Mesquite and possibly some Pecan. Is there any other woods out there that I may be able to pick up while on our vacation I thought maybe someone here may know something I don't.

Ron

Are you just looking for suggestions of wood species? Or for suppliers?

If species, look for Bois D'Arc (Osage Orange), or maybe 'Texas Ebony'.

If suppliers, you might want to narrow the range with a destination city or route? Texas is a big place!

I will be visiting cities in Texas from Dallas to Huston and I don't know what woods they have there except for the Mesquite, Hackberry and possibly some pecan. We have mostly Silver Maple, Pine and some Cedar types. I would be happy to talk to anyone that has anything else I could possibly turn. anything would be worth looking into.

Sweet Gum, Sycamore, Elm, Magnolia, Osage Orange, Holly, Mulberry, Ash are all possibilities. I would give you some nice Sweet Gum if you are coming through Lufkin. There is usually lots of Oak available, if you try that I recommend that you get it as fresh as possible and not take old oak from someone's firewood pile.

China Berry, Mulberry, Bradford Pear, Ash, Mimosa, Cherry, and Huisache are some of the local woods that I have found here in the Fredericksburg area and turned in addition to Mesquite and Pecan. If you are heading this direction, send me a pm.

Being 150 miles east of Dallas, there are many, many places to procure wood. Seems like there is a saw mill every 10 miles or so. It you are doing a straight shot from Dallas to Houston there is a number of mills along the way. Just googleing Sawmills Austin TX will bring up a few. There's quite a few around Houston also. Most of the time they are catering to folks who want large pieces. I've found that if you ask nicely you can find a lifetimes supply of turning wood by picking through their burn piles.

thanks for the great replies. We are waiting for our new travel trailer to be delivered before we make solid plans but as soon as we hear the date of arrival I will look up the locations you have given me to see how close we can get to your locations and then i will reply to all of you and let you know if and when we will be in your area.

Thanks again

Ron Ainge

Cuero, Texas--Not too far from the third coast.
    I'm 1 1/2 hrs west of Houston.
    I most likely have some of all the woods you might be looking for. How big a load are you looking for?
    Will be looking at some Pecan soon that's already been cut down, hoping I can get some of it.
    You might also consider checking the brush/tree centers that most cities have--they've always been a good source.
    PM me if you'll be by this way--keep in mind that I have fulltime clinic hrs.
    Using Texas woods--especially Mesquite, the "Queen" of woods.

If you come through Kansas City, I've got some big pieces of Pecan you can have. They've been end-sealed and waiting patiently under the trees in my back yard for me to get around to using them for about 18 months. So it seems likely I won't get to them any time soon. Not worth going out of your way for, but if it's on the way, fee free to stop by.