Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Greene and Greene nightside tables

Greene and Greene nightside tables

Last time I was told to post more pictures, so here is the maximum allowed. The dimensions are: H, 26; L, 27, D, 18. Drawer fronts are 16.5 inches across. The cases are 100% genuine mahogany. The drawer fronts and top are from a single wide, thick Sepele slab (pic included). I have amuch easier time finding large slabs of sepele than Mahogany and the woods work well together in my opinion. The ebony plugs and splines (over 80 total, I believe) were made using some custom alignment jigs and tips from William Ng (http://wnwoodworkingschool.com/videos/). The carcass was assembled with dominos. The arched drawer pulls were made as described in Darrell Peart's book (In the Greene and Greene Style). I started this project in late January, but had just finished a similar dresser project (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...esser-for-wife), so more-or-less knew what I was doing. I still need to do a final sanding, attach the top, and apply finish (1 or 2 coats of shellac, followed by several coats of Water lox original).
    Attached Images Attached Images

You have some really beautiful details in those tables. Bravo! Excellent execution, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Beautiful work Bob!

Great-looking pieces, Bob. Started in January? I wish I were half as productive a you!

Mike

Very, very nice Bob! Please post photos after you have applied the finish!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

gorgeous!!!
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Wow!

Beautiful...

Blog Entries
    Really nice stuff Bob. I for one am very glad you posted the maximum ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

The neat thing about Greene and Greene is that it creates an excuse to use mahogany - I too am very glad you posted to the max o this. Your detail is exquisite. Are you using the 5-7 parts orange finish mixed with a brown??

Thomas: no, I do not stain the wood. Just the 1 or 2 coats of shellac, followed by the waterlox, which is colorless. The first several Greene and Greene pieces I made were stained, filled and then lacquered. That was a lot of work, and the piece would always come out darker than I wanted. My new procedure is much easier and I actually like the look better, much easier to see the natural beauty of the grain.

Really like the cloud(?) lift in upper drawer blade.

Curious about the top-drawer bottom ... assume you had to compromise a bit on the depth?

Yes, there is a definite sacrifice on depth with the top drawers. But, they are deep enough for a decent stack of magazines.

Blog Entries
    Geogious tables. Excellent execution. Love G&G.

G&G night tables varnished

Someone asked to see the night tables after the varnish, so here they are. I am so happy I discovered waterlox. It is a wipe on finish that looks great and is super easy to apply. If you decide to try it, I strongly recommend you watch the Woodman videos. He has many great tips.
    Attached Images Attached Images

They look great Bob!