Thread: Jessem 08801 Wood Sabre Marking Gauge - Anyone Have One, Care To Comment?

Post Jessem 08801 Wood Sabre Marking Gauge - Anyone Have One, Care To Comment?

Jessem 08801 Wood Sabre Marking Gauge (LINK)

Been looking at getting a marking gauge and so far had been considering the Starrett 29B Scratch Gauge (which appears a bit small and more for scoring metal, LINK) and the Veritas Wheel Marking Gauge (LINK). Then I ran across the Jessem Wood Sabre Marking Gauge and though the feature set sounded great. I like the repeatability and precision setting capability built into their adjustment system. I also liked that contact face is long and rectangular, to be this seemed to make more sense over the more traditional circular contact face. The price of course is way higher than the others and Im not sure yet is justified.

Anyone have one of these and care to comment?
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Nobody has one of these huh? Im kinda surprised. Looks like a very nice product.

I just received one and have only used it a few times.

So far, it seems well made and I'm happy with my purchase. One caveat, however, is that I'm a pretty big serial Jessem fan....

First impression pros: very overbuilt, nice cutting action, broad bearing surface, excellent fit and finish per the Jessem norm, looks cool, good positive stops, essentially obviates the need to set your marking gauge against a ruler.

Negatives: heavy and large, not "inexpensive" for a marking gauge, controls may take some getting used to for those of us who start using a tool without reviewing the instructions...

After I've really put it through it's paces, I'll provide a more complete review.
    Richard Link

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Link View Post
    I just received one and have only used it a few times.

So far, it seems well made and I'm happy with my purchase. One caveat, however, is that I'm a pretty big serial Jessem fan....

First impression pros: very overbuilt, nice cutting action, broad bearing surface, excellent fit and finish per the Jessem norm, looks cool, good positive stops, essentially obviates the need to set your marking gauge against a ruler.

Negatives: heavy and large, not "inexpensive" for a marking gauge, controls may take some getting used to for those of us who start using a tool without reviewing the instructions...

After I've really put it through it's paces, I'll provide a more complete review.
    Awesome, thanks Richard! I knew SOMEONE out there had to have one! And yea the thing definitely looks well built! Love to hear more of your impressions as you get to use it more. Thanks!

Bumping this. Curious if anyone now has anything else to add.