Thread: Jessem 07305 Tool Setting Gauge - Anyone Have One, Care To Comment?

Post Jessem 07305 Tool Setting Gauge - Anyone Have One, Care To Comment?

Jessem 07305 Tool Setting Gauge (LINK)

Been looking for a good way of repeatably setting a height/distance/depth for the router table, table saw and drill press. I have the Wixey digital height gauge but Im not really too fond of the build quality and Im not sure I trust cheap digital scales all that much to be accurate and repeatable. I ran across the Jessem Tool Setting Gauge and it appears it would satisfy what Ive been looking for. Anyone out there own one and care to comment?
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

I have one and it works very well and is much easier to use - at least for me -than any other method. I had a long wait (a couple of months) after ordering to get one, Jessem was out of stock and I had to wait until their next production run.

ben,

i have a oneway guage. has a dial that reads to .001. i like it but it only goes to one inch. you can set it on something of known height to go more.

keith

Quote Originally Posted by keith wootton View Post
    ben,

i have a oneway guage. has a dial that reads to .001. i like it but it only goes to one inch. you can set it on something of known height to go more.

keith
    One of these you mean? LINK

The Incra Gauge might be a bit less expensive. I have been using one for over ten years.

http://incra.com/measuring_marking-incra_gauge.html

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    The Incra Gauge might be a bit less expensive. I have been using one for over ten years.

http://incra.com/measuring_marking-incra_gauge.html
    I had seen that option, but I didnt really like that it was made of plastic. Certainly looks like it would do the job though.

Ben,

For less than 20 bucks the Incra Guage is worth an audition in your shop. Its a pretty tough tool for the money and dead accurate as it uses the Incra tooth system. Mine has been used for both wood and metal work for a decade and it has held up very well.

I still have one of the original Incra tools made from plastic but I haven't used it for routing joints for a very long time and its still in great shape. I have on occasion used it as a larger marking guage to transfer marks, to layout shelving jobs and to align sign projects.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    Ben,

For less than 20 bucks the Incra Guage is worth an audition in your shop. Its a pretty tough tool for the money and dead accurate as it uses the Incra tooth system. Mine has been used for both wood and metal work for a decade and it has held up very well.

I still have one of the original Incra tools made from plastic but I haven't used it for routing joints for a very long time and its still in great shape. I have on occasion used it as a larger marking guage to transfer marks, to layout shelving jobs and to align sign projects.
    Just watched a couple videos on it. A clever tool indeed. Seems I do most of that stuff with my combo square but for the price I might pick on up just to play with a bit. Still kinda thinking the Jessem might be a bit quicker for the measurements I was looking to do, but the Incra Gauge looks to be a worthy accessory to have around the shop.

ben,

yes, i mean oneway multi gauge. it is very handy for machine setup as well. if you want to put one in your hand, or see another shop, it looks like you live close and you could stop by.

keith

I have found the iGauge height gauge with mag base works best plus you can easily do relative or incremental changes easily.

Quote Originally Posted by keith wootton View Post
    ben,

yes, i mean oneway multi gauge. it is very handy for machine setup as well. if you want to put one in your hand, or see another shop, it looks like you live close and you could stop by.

keith
    I was actually planning to head over to Woodcraft after work today and see if they had one in stock to play with. Any excuse to go hang out there or in Rockler is god enough for me!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Goetzke View Post
    I have found the iGauge height gauge with mag base works best plus you can easily do relative or incremental changes easily.
    Isnt that one digital? Im trying to stay away from anymore digital gauges.

I have an Incra gauge just like the one Keith mentioned. I find it useful for a lot of things. Mine is also about 10 years old and doesn't seem any worse for wear. I rate this tool in the same category as the high precision drafting triangles you can buy at Hobby Lobby. They are simple and cheap but worth waaaaay more than they cost.

I use this from Lee Valley.
    http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/pag...240,41064&ap=1

Not as adjustable as the gauge you are looking at but works very well. I like it because it is not adjustable.
    I use this as a reference adjusting my tooling so I am working off the same measurement. For example, when surfacing lumber with my planer, I set my calipers using this gauge so all my lumber is the same thickness no matter if it was planed today or last year.
    Last edited by Dave Lehnert; 03-22-2016 at 11:12 PM.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Just as a followup, I ended up getting the Jessem gauge and its very nice! Definitely a solid feeling unit and I love the notched measurement settings. Once its tightened down you know youre getting the exact measurement youre after.