As is often the case with metal planes, when a wooden body molding plane enters the shop, it is usually in need of some TLC before going to work. Some have expressed interest in knowing more about the process of bringing an old molding plane back to a usable state.

I am just a beginner when it comes to working on wooden planes but I'm happy to share what I have learned. Over time I hope to be able to add more to this thread and hope others will also add their experience.

The images used to illustrate this post will be of various planes. So if a blade and sole do not seem to match between shots, it is because they are from different planes.

Also a tip that might help is to not disassemble more than one plane at a time if you do not have a way of keeping the components together. Getting a bunch of wedges mixed up can make for a lousy day.

Depending on where one finds a molding plane it may have different characteristics. Usually in an antique shop they will be cleaner than something that was in a box in a barn. Some of the planes in my accumulation were coated in shellac to look good in an antique store or were coated with tallow, sweat or oil by a previous owner.

Dirty & Clean.jpg

My first step is to wipe off the dust if the plane is dirty. There is an old rag in my shop that is mostly used for wiping blades after they have been honed on an oilstone. The rag is near saturation with mineral oil. This works for me for cleaning dust and other crud off of old wooden planes. A clean rag with mineral oil would also work as would any number of other wood cleaning materials. I like to use materials with wax or oil as most of the old planes that have come my way could use a little of the rejuvenation oil and wax offer.

After a preliminary wipe down the wedge and blade are removed.

Blade & Wedge Removal.jpg

Here my grip is focused mostly on the blade and iron with a light hold on the plane body. The plane is held an inch or two above the bench to prevent it from falling to the floor. Start with light taps and check to see if the blade or wedge are working loose. If light taps are insufficient use a stronger swing of the mallet. Often the blade will become loose and can be removed before the wedge can be extracted. The wedge may have swollen over time or if it was given a clear coat causing it to be slightly stuck.

In severe cases I have clamped the wedge in a wood faced vise and carefully tapped on the back of the plane.

In extreme cases most of the blades in old molding planes are tapered. It may be possible to loosen the blade by tapping on the tang to drive it out of the plane's mouth.

Check the wedge and blade mortise for dirt and clean as needed. More on this latter

Only a few of the planes that have come my way didn't have a bit of pitting with which to contend.

Blade Back the Pits.jpg

Unless you find a plane that was kept in a dry environment there is likely to be some rust or pitting on the blade.

The flat disk on the Mk.II Power Sharpening system is a natural for working on blade backs. Other methods are as abundant as there are ways to sharpen.

Working the Back.jpg

The sides are also given some attention. If a blade works along the edge like a rabbet plane or hollows & rounds, they will have a bevel on the edge.

Just the Beginning - Pit Clean Up.jpg

A little bit of grinding makes quite an improvement. There is still a lot to do including the shaping.

I have not found many molding planes with optimum blade shaping. Most of them are also somewhat dull.

Blade & Sole.jpg

Obtaining a clear picture of this is difficult. It is possible to see the blade is extended more in the concave area than the convex part of the curve. This will require some care in reshaping the blade.

Blade in Vise & Stone.jpg

If you are going to use molding planes or gouges, you will need some slip stones or other way of working on irregular shapes. Abrasive paper on dowels can do some of the work.

Oil Slip & Other Stones.jpg

I also have another set in water stones.

Looks like this will have to be continued on another page if I want to add more images.

To be continued…

jtk