Thread: Powermatic 209HH Belt Issue

Powermatic 209HH Belt Issue

I recently bought a Powermatic 209HH. It has been great so far, a huge upgrade over the DW735 that I have been using for the last 5 years but I started noticing a heated plastic kind of smell when it was running. At first I thought it might be a wiring issue but it was actually coming from the belts. I took off the cover and saw that the belts have been shedding small pieces of rubber. Is this a normal thing when breaking in a large new machine (this is the first real beast I've owned) or could there be an issue with how it was set up, i.e. too much tension on the belts? I didn't see any tears or fraying and the machine doesn't make any extraneous noises when it is running.
    IMG_3760sm.jpgIMG_3759sm.jpg
    Thanks for any insight you can provide.

I have one too and it is normal to see some of that wear in debris there.

I make sure they are tensioned properly and don't worry about it. I am betting you know that there's a section in the operating manual that covers that topic. You cannot assume they came adjusted properly out of the box. After some breakin it is a good idea to tighten them up.

BTW, the primary figure in their manual on adjusting the table rollers, chip breaker, and pressure bar is incorrect. Ignore the first introductory figure/drawing on that topic and refer to the individual paragraphs for the proper specs.

If I'm understanding you, the machine is brand new?

If that's the case then yes some debris from the belts is common.

I would keep an eye on the belt tension as they'll loosen up after a while and need tightening.

If you hear them squeal at startup you know they are way too loose.
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

Thanks guys. I will keep an eye on the belt tension going forward.

Jay Nice Planer. Did you check the alignment of the motor pulley and cutterhead pulley?? Just a thought Mike O'Keefe