Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Building Your Own Oneida Realtime Filter Efficiency Gauge

Ok so I finally got around to getting my Clearvue Max mostly setup. I have about half the duct work to finish up and to finish the door and return vent for the soundproofing closet. I fired it up tonight to make sure my control panel and remote was working fine. I have about 25' of 8" PVC hooked up to it right now with few 45s to make it up to the ceiling. I also have a 0-5" Magnahelic gauge hooked to a Dwyer a-302 static pressure tip installed after the fan but before the wynn filters. When I started it up I noticed the gauge went slightly negative so I figured I hooked up the wrong port on the gauge. I then disconnected the tube from the tip and blew into the hose lightly and it went positive. So I have it hooked up to the correct/high port on the gauge. I checked and have the side high and low ports blocked left the low port disconnected on the back of the gauge. As I said this is a brand new install with never before used filters. Is it possible that the air is blowing by so fast it is creating a slight vacuum on the pressure tip?
    image1.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Fairbanks View Post
    Ok so I finally got around to getting my Clearvue Max mostly setup. I have about half the duct work to finish up and to finish the door and return vent for the soundproofing closet. I fired it up tonight to make sure my control panel and remote was working fine. I have about 25' of 8" PVC hooked up to it right now with few 45s to make it up to the ceiling. I also have a 0-5" Magnahelic gauge hooked to a Dwyer a-302 static pressure tip installed after the fan but before the wynn filters. When I started it up I noticed the gauge went slightly negative so I figured I hooked up the wrong port on the gauge. I then disconnected the tube from the tip and blew into the hose lightly and it went positive. So I have it hooked up to the correct/high port on the gauge. I checked and have the side high and low ports blocked left the low port disconnected on the back of the gauge. As I said this is a brand new install with never before used filters. Is it possible that the air is blowing by so fast it is creating a slight vacuum on the pressure tip?
    image1.jpg
    Chris, I had the same issue on my CV 1800. I think it's the alignment of the A-302 that is the issue. As soon as I replaced mine with a cheap and cheerful barbed fitting the reading was positive. I should have listened to some of the other posters and gone for a barbed fitting originally :-)

Andy, somehow I missed your post about the same problem a few posts up I just called Dwyer tech support and they said the pointed side of the tip needs to be facing into the airflow. I explained the use case and he said it should work fine. Just to confirm you have the low side hooked up to nothing correct? Just the high side to the fitting?
    Thanks!

Andy, somehow I missed your post about the same problem a few posts up I just called Dwyer tech support and they said the pointed side of the tip needs to be facing into the airflow. I explained the use case and he said it should work fine. Just to confirm you have the low side hooked up to nothing correct? Just the high side to the fitting?
    Thanks!
    Chris, exactly the same problem as you had and mine was pointed into the airflow as required by Dwyer. High side hooked up, low side open to atmosphere, spare ports blocked. I even tried turning the probe a few degrees but no change. Replaced the probe with a barbed fitting and worked immediately.

I tried going around 360 degrees slowly while the cyclone was running and could never get it to go positive. I suspect the tip is not rated for that sort of speed air . I just ordered 10 barbs off of amazon for like $7. I'll swap it over this weekend. That's for the help!

I tried going around 360 degrees slowly while the cyclone was running and could never get it to go positive. I suspect the tip is not rated for that sort of speed air . I just ordered 10 barbs off of amazon for like $7. I'll swap it over this weekend. That's for the help!
    No problem, you'll probably find that the pressure measurement is quite small (mine's about 0.1 - 0.2) with new filters

I did testing on my dust collector and the filter pressure varies with the cfm.

At high flows of 1600 cfm and low static pressure, the dust collector filter pressure is around 2.5 inches.

At low flows of 400 cfm and high static pressure, the dust collector filter pressure is about 0.5 inches.

The filter pressure will depend on your particular DC setup and how much cfm you are pulling. A good thing to do is measure the filter pressure with a clean filter and a particular gate open or some standard setup. Then you can check the pressure later on with the same setup.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Giddings View Post
    Chris, exactly the same problem as you had and mine was pointed into the airflow as required by Dwyer. High side hooked up, low side open to atmosphere, spare ports blocked. I even tried turning the probe a few degrees but no change. Replaced the probe with a barbed fitting and worked immediately.
    Andy I got the barbed fittings today and installed it in the same hole where I had the tip and I am still getting a negative reading. I doubled checked if I slightly blow on the tube it goes positivite and I even checked with some smoke it is sucking air in. . Not sure what my problem is. Where exactly did you mount the fitting? The only difference with out systems is mine is a max which I think it means the impeller is slightly larger which should not make any difference. Thanks

Chris, mounted mine in one of the MDF side panels on the 90 degree filter transition, around about the middle. I think our impellers are also the same size as I bought the package with the larger diameter.
    Barb.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have a 5hp oneida but ditched their filter for a cabinet I built with 570 square inches of Torit filters.

I didn't put a static end on the end of the hose that goes into the cabinet, I just drilled and calked the clear tubing into the corner of the cabinet. With four 4" blast gates open off the 7" main duct line, I get just under .4" of pressure in the cabinet, and plenty of suction at all the gates.

Should I not trust the .4" because I don't have an end on the tubing? I put the end in a top corner away from the air flow. It's where I expect there's the least turbulence, but is the number too low to trust? It goes to zero when it's off, but I'd never heard of a Pitot tube before happening onto this thread.

11. I know this thread is old but just installed my magnahelic 2005 gauge on my cv1800 and only reads when connected to the LOW side with HIGH side left open on back. Both side ports are plugged. Can’t get my head around why it only reads on the LOW side just before entering the filter stack. Especially since everyone on here except one guy is using the HIGH side.
    My gauge reads 1.25-1.5 with 2 blast gates open and 2.5-3 with all three open. I’m baffled.

Yes, the filter pressure increases with increased cfm. I found this when doing performance measurements on my Oneida 5 hp system.

CFM vs Filter Pressure.jpg
    Last edited by Larry Frank; 10-08-2021 at 9:43 AM.

13. Well that clears it up. Makes more sense now. Thanks very much.