Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Building Your Own Oneida Realtime Filter Efficiency Gauge

I grabbed the last one at that price, but there are a few more for $28. It will be nice to have for sure.

I got mine installed on my new V3000 today. It stays at 0" with the collector turned on though. I haven't used it for anything except sucking out my tablesaw's cabinet, so the filter is probably pretty clean. Is it normal for a brand new filter to read 0"? I did take the hose off and blow into it and got it up near 1" that way, so I think the gauge is working fine.

Thanks,
    Jason

I was doing some more testing and realized that the gauge has 2 sets of ports. After plugging the ones on the sides, it is working properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Lester View Post
    I was doing some more testing and realized that the gauge has 2 sets of ports. After plugging the ones on the sides, it is working properly.
    Ah yes the Magnehelic does have two sets of ports. I just got mine and havent taken it out of the box yet but I did notice that from the manual. Glad you got it figured out and working. Man is that Magnehelic ever larger than the Minihelic! I didnt realize how much the size difference would be. Im going to post a side by side for reference in the OP so others know ahead of time.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

For size comparison, here is the Minihelic II next to the Magnehelic front and back:

File Apr 17, 7 19 34 AM.jpeg File Apr 17, 7 19 59 AM.jpeg

Quite a big size difference.

Things to note about the two:

1. The Minihelic II is made of some sort of plastic that feels like the thick black sewer drain pipe, while the Magnehelic is made of a heavy metal.
    2. The Minihelic II most commonly has the ports sticking out of the back which might make mounting it somewhere a bit tricky. There is a version of it where the ports exit on the bottom but after speaking to Dwyer about that version I found that it is special order from them only. The Magnehelic has exit ports on both the back and the side, either can be used giving more mounting options.
    3. FWIW the Minihelic II more closely matches the size of the red strobe light mentioned in the OP.
    4. Mounts and tube fittings are included with either gauge when bought brand new.

Also worth noting: Oneida announced some time ago that they would be raising prices on pretty much everything they sell sometime this year. It looks like those price increases have finally hit. Oddly enough however they actually dropped the price of their Realtime Filter Efficiency Gauge Kit. It went from $113 to $72. Much better pricing but you can still build out the same or better yourself for less.

Got mine installed this afternoon. I decided to mount a little "control panel" on the legs of the stand for the V3000. I put the 2005 Magnehelic on the left for the filter gauge, made another hole for a 2015 Magnehelic to measure static pressure at the inlet, and left room in the center to mount the strobe light for the bin sensor. I still need to buy the other gauge and get all the parts for the dust bin sensor.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I just received my gauge from eBay (the $25 one from this thread). I still need the other two parts. My ducting should be in later this week. When that gets mostly done it's onto the gauge. I was going to order it with the SDG but Oneida talked me out of it. They said unless I have a drum sander, and pay attention to bin level, I should never need it. Seems like I would still like to know.

Got mine installed this afternoon. I decided to mount a little "control panel" on the legs of the stand for the V3000. I put the 2005 Magnehelic on the left for the filter gauge, made another hole for a 2015 Magnehelic to measure static pressure at the inlet, and left room in the center to mount the strobe light for the bin sensor. I still need to buy the other gauge and get all the parts for the dust bin sensor.
    Nice. Thats kinda how I was thinking about doing mine except up higher as I was worried down low like that might interfere with emptying the dust bin.

Thanks for the great write up. I was able to pick up the exact gauge for $20 shipped off ebay, brand new.

Been thinking about your post here. What will measuring static pressure at the inlet tell you? Im pretty new to this kind of stuff so Im not sure I understand why that value would be useful to us. Is it for detecting possible clogs in the ducting? Making sure the blower is pulling what it usually pulls? And where would you install the probe for the inlet? In the inlet ducting and pointing toward the machines (away from the blower)?

Has anyone attempted a digital manometer? I all ready have one and was thinking about just using that instead.

Hi, I have a felder AF-22 with a wynn filter on it. Looking at how others have mounted the probe, would it still work if I put it on the top of the filter, or in the duct pipe before the impeller?
    Thanks, Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Mellor View Post
    Hi, I have a felder AF-22 with a wynn filter on it. Looking at how others have mounted the probe, would it still work if I put it on the top of the filter, or in the duct pipe before the impeller?
    Thanks, Richard
    Richard, On the OAS the pressure gauge goes just above the filter to measure at the filter. Felder is a little tougher. I don't know what the inside looks like but I would put it to the right of the black knob so that it is centered on the white bag. There are some ports on the probe they would need to be facing down to help avoid them from being filled with dust. You would have to test the system to find out what your starting pressure would be. Either use a new bag or clean that bag very well. Just out of curiosity, what is the micron rating on the bag?

Thanks
    bud

Quote Originally Posted by Bud Millis View Post
    Has anyone attempted a digital manometer? I all ready have one and was thinking about just using that instead.
    I had considered it for a bit with the Dwyer DM-1107, but I didnt really like the idea of having to power it or change out batteries and the cost was quite a bit more. But if you already have one and dont mind the powering issues, cool, post a pic when you get it setup.