Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Building Your Own Oneida Realtime Filter Efficiency Gauge

Post Building Your Own Oneida Realtime Filter Efficiency Gauge

After studying the Oneida product page (LINK) and researching around the net I was able to figure out and put together the parts necessary to build my own Oneida Realtime Filter Efficiency Gauge. Its a very simple design and you can buy all the parts on your own for a lot cheaper than their kit.

Heres what you need:

1. Dywer 2-5005 Differential Pressure Gauge (LINK)
    2. Dywer A-302 Static Pressure Tip (LINK)
    3. 3/16" Inner Diameter Tubing (LINK)

Thats it! You can find the gauge and tip on eBay sometimes for very cheap or you can buy them directly from Dywer. You can also purchase the hose by the foot from Dywer (LINK, A-220). You can also use the larger dial gauge, the Dywer Magnehelic 2005 (LINK). Its nicer if you want a larger display, to wall mount it, or want better build quality, but it does cost more. And lastly regarding the mount, the one supplied by Oneida is almost useless as there is no good way/place to install it on many of their dust collectors. So making one out of wood is just much better as you can customize it however you like to mount where ever you like on your dust collector. All you need to do is cut a hole large enough to fit the gauge and youre good to go. Drawings with dimensions for the gauges can be found on the Dywer website.

Regarding installation: simple as drilling a 3/16" hole in the plenum. Instructions are as follows:

Capture.jpg

I know there are some people around this forum who know a lot more about this setup than I do as I found some of their posts and they were helpful in figuring this all out. I also know there are probably other and perhaps better ways of going about this. That said my intent here was just to layout the Oneida design and how to build your own. Hopefully those that know more will chime in and offer suggests on how to perhaps improve the design or other suggestions.
    Last edited by Ben Rivel; 03-19-2016 at 7:57 PM.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Ben, your link for the A-302 tip seems to be give a "page not found" error. I think it should be:
    http://www.dwyer-inst.com/Product/Mi...ps-Accessories

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Andersen View Post
    Ben, your link for the A-302 tip seems to be give a "page not found" error. I think it should be:
    http://www.dwyer-inst.com/Product/Mi...ps-Accessories
    Thank you! Fixed it!

Thanks for the post. I got a brand new Dwyer 2005 off eBay for $40 and the tip from Dwyer. Saved about half price over the Oneida kit. I didn't realize how big the 2005 was, I thought it was the small one. I like the size though.

Now to build the bin full alarm.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Lester View Post
    Thanks for the post. I got a brand new Dwyer 2005 off eBay for $40 and the tip from Dwyer. Saved about half price over the Oneida kit. I didn't realize how big the 2005 was, I thought it was the small one. I like the size though.

Now to build the bin full alarm.
    Awesome! Glad it worked out for you! And yea that Magnehelic is a lot bigger. I think it would be nicer and would have gone that route too had I known about it first. Post some pics when you get it all setup!

thanks Ben for putting this together- I will be doing this shortly.

Jason mentioned going with the 2005- is there a particular model(s) of this I should look out for. I like the idea of a bigger gauge, but I am not sure what all the suffixes on the model numbers mean. I see NIB 2005's for $25 or thereabouts on Ebay- am I missing something?

thanks

Mike

Thanks Ben, I opted out of the option from Oneida. I still wanted it but had to cut cost somewhere. I am going to try and go this route.

Blog Entries
    I have a dual gauge setup, one for filter loss, the other for system suction. (Pic taken just before cleaning the filter) And I keep a plot of the fan curve handy. You really don't need a fancy pitot tube as you are not measuring velocity pressure, just use a threaded x barbed brass fitting.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ole Anderson; 04-09-2016 at 11:21 AM.
    NOW you tell me...

Where do you have the fitting for suction installed, in the duct near the inlet?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heaney View Post
    thanks Ben for putting this together- I will be doing this shortly.

Jason mentioned going with the 2005- is there a particular model(s) of this I should look out for. I like the idea of a bigger gauge, but I am not sure what all the suffixes on the model numbers mean. I see NIB 2005's for $25 or thereabouts on Ebay- am I missing something?

thanks

Mike
    For the Magnehelic 2005 is the 0-5" model youd want (LINK). I didnt see any of those that cheap on eBay for brand new, but different sellers pop up all the time with different stock, so its entirely possible. Ill take as a look as for $25 brand new Ill pick up a Magnehelic too!

EDIT: Just checked eBay and the ~$25 ones are used. I want new. The new ones are all around $40+.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Lester View Post
    Where do you have the fitting for suction installed, in the duct near the inlet?
    For the filter loss gauge, near the inlet to the filter, for the overall suction gauge, near the inlet to the fan.
    NOW you tell me...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/141942498763

Ben- this is the one I just ordered- did I mess up? $25.99 and free shipping. Still three more available

M

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    You really don't need a fancy pitot tube as you are not measuring velocity pressure, just use a threaded x barbed brass fitting.
    I agree totally. It should be less expensive and is definitely less prone to plugging to use a barb fitting like Ole mentioned.

Those SP tips actually have holes on the side for SP measurement and are meant for HVAC airstreams (air conditioning or make-up air). The dirty side (upstream of filter) on HVAC systems is relatively clean compared to the clean side (downstream) of your cyclone. You have to be careful which way you point the tiny ports when using these because you do not want the holes facing into the airstream.
    Last edited by Michael W. Clark; 04-09-2016 at 4:23 PM. Reason: Clarity

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heaney View Post
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/141942498763

Ben- this is the one I just ordered- did I mess up? $25.99 and free shipping. Still three more available

M
    Nope, looks good to me! I wasnt see that one because I was including "Magnehelic" in my search terms. Thanks for posting that, Im going to pick one up too!

happy to share the joy Ben!

thanks again for pointing us in the right direction with this.
    Now I just need to get my cyclone ordered- it would be a shame to fit this to a 1.5hp delta canister!

M