Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Building Your Own And Improving Upon The Oneida Dust Sentry Bin Level Sensor

Quote Originally Posted by Lane Hardy View Post
    Does anyone have any information on how the distance that QS18VP6D can be adjusted? I see 18 inches on the data sheet. Does that mean 0- to 18 inches adjustment? My dust barrel is only 19 inches tall I would like to at least be able to fill the barrel 1/2 full or more before the sensor is triggered.
    Oneida lists theirs as being adjustable from 1"-20", so Id imagine it would work as close to at least 2". I have never measured mine to see how close it would work, but since its the same sensor they are using with no additional circuitry added it should perform within the same range.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Great thanks Ben, I agree since it is the same sensor. I hope
    It is just a matter of adjusting the focal point on the potentiometer.

Lane
    Last edited by Lane Hardy; 09-30-2017 at 4:09 PM.

Can someone post a pic of their actual wiring? I'm a bit unclear (i.e. does the blue wire connect to the blacks from both the LED and the Power Supply as indicated by the diagram)?
    Last edited by Lance Haile; 10-16-2017 at 5:55 PM. Reason: clarify

Quote Originally Posted by Lance Haile View Post
    Can someone post a pic of their actual wiring? I'm a bit unclear (i.e. does the blue wire connect to the blacks from both the LED and the Power Supply as indicated by the diagram)?
    Yep, the blue wire is grounded (tied to the negative).

I just ordered the QS18VP6D on eBay $28.00 and free backwards sailboat delivery from China to the US with a October 19, thru Nov 8 delivery date.
    I do have a work around if the light beam trigger point can not be adjusted shorter than 18 inches! If interested ask.

The backward sailing sailboat and a Prairie schooner docked in Abilene today, my QS18VP6D arrived today. Ordered on 09-29-2017. Assembly begains tonight.

I would like to thank Ben Rivel and the other contributors on this project, it is so simple and a very inexpensive soulotion to keeping your filter from clogging.
    What a great add on to your D.C. System

Thank you Ben,

Lane,
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/member.php?151774-Ben-Rivel

Just put one of these together for a total of $41.94

I bought the sensor off of EBAY from someone in my hometown for $31.95:
    https://vod.ebay.com/vod/FetchOrderD...&ul_noapp=true

The alarm from Amazon for $9.99: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I already had a 12v power supply...I bet you do too.

The wiring diagram on the first page of this post is spot on and this is super easy to wire up. I cut a small hole in the top of my collector bin and installed the sensor, which is adjustable. I epoxied a couple of small rare earth magnets to the bottom of the alarm and set it on top of my filter where it will be very easy to see when it flashes.

Big thanks to Ben Rivel and the other contributors for making this so easy and for saving me $100.

Update to dust sensor.
    I have had a slight distraction since I last posted on this subject, wife had both knees replaced. The first week after surgery went well! The second week she was walking 300-500 feet Day and doing well in rehab.
    The third week it was horrendous she came home and was getting around with a walker, the pain was was unbearable.
    my arms and legs ached from all the cleaning and running around she made me do. I was glad when she fully recovered.
    I was able to get back to making saw dust.

My dust sensor (not the wife) I bought the Banner model listed on my previous post! I also added an audiable aspect to my sensor. As I did not always see the strobe. I had an old smoke detector and hey it makes a pretty loud noise!
    i removed the son alert from it applied 9 volts to activate it no joy :-( so I re installed back into the smoke detector jumpered the test switch and then applied power via the same wires that feed the strobe. It worked like a charm.
    I was concerned about the combined current draw of the strobe and the smoke detector exceeding the limits of the Banner
    sensor. That was not a problem.
    I also wanted to test the sensor so I made a paddle that I moved in the path of the light beam in the dust bucket. To the
    keep the bucket from haveing a vacume leak on the paddle that I turned I used all thread rod and tapped the 3/4 inch MDf that was the top of the dust bucket. The handle to move the paddle was on the outside of the bucket. The threads maintained the vacume seal.

I also wanted to test the sensor so I made a paddle that I moved in the path of the light beam in the dust bucket. To the
    keep the bucket from haveing a vacume leak on the paddle that I turned I used all thread rod and tapped the 3/4 inch MDf that was the top of the dust bucket. The handle to move the paddle was on the outside of the bucket. The threads maintained the vacume seal.
    Interesting! I like the idea of being able to test the sensor while inside the dust bin! Great concept. Post a pic or two of how you installed that if you get a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rivel View Post
    Interesting! I like the idea of being able to test the sensor while inside the dust bin! Great concept. Post a pic or two of how you installed that if you get a chance.
    IMG_3366.jpgThis is the underside or inside the dust bucket.
    IMG_0156.jpgI will make a proper handle one day this was a true piece of scrap off the floor.
    What made this work well to keep from introducing an air leak I drill ed and tapped the hole that the all thread goes through. For leak detection I use the smoke from two incense sticks burning at the same time.

IMG_3366.jpgThis is the underside or inside the dust bucket.
    IMG_0156.jpgI will make a proper handle one day this was a true piece of scrap off the floor.
    What made this work well to keep from introducing an air leak I drill ed and tapped the hole that the all thread goes through. For leak detection I use the smoke from two incense sticks burning at the same time.
    That makes a lot more sense! Got it! Thanks for posting the pics and great idea!

Blog Entries
    Great thread! I’m building one of these now. Was never a problem with my bandsaw but a jointer planer fills up 30 gal in a hurry.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Brian I built another dust level sensor for under $10.00 US the sensor was $4.10

look for my post on an inexpensive dust level sensor.

I will post pictures on that thread as soon the system allows, apperantly maintenance is being performed because I am unable post photos.

Lane

Blog Entries
    Thanks Lane, though a bit late for me I have the parts en route.

Any chance I could add a second light onto this same circuit? I have two rooms I use for woodworking and finally I’ll be running duct into the other room to accommodate a lathe. I expect it will be filling the bin quickly much like my planer does. So I’d like a second light in that shop as well.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    Thanks Lane, though a bit late for me I have the parts en route.

Any chance I could add a second light onto this same circuit? I have two rooms I use for woodworking and finally I’ll be running duct into the other room to accommodate a lathe. I expect it will be filling the bin quickly much like my planer does. So I’d like a second light in that shop as well.
    Per the Maximum Current Draw from the datasheet, the current draw would be too great to add a second light to this circuit as is. Theres a number of ways additional circuitry could be added to accommodate any number of additional inputs and/or outputs, but none would be as simple as the Onieda circuit.