Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Building Your Own And Improving Upon The Oneida Dust Sentry Bin Level Sensor

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Yamamoto View Post
    I just purchased a new Banner QS18VP6D from ebay for $40. Although it shipped from China, it arrived in just 9 days. I believe it works because it does detect my hand. I'll know if it detects sawdust when I install it in the next few days.
    Nice! Thats not a bad price at all. The sensors are probably all made in China and we pay more from them here since the American companies selling them are up-charging for them. Nice that we finally have avenues to buy directly from (or closer to) the sources for much cheaper.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

FYI - there are a few eBay sellers in the US that have the Banner QS18VN6D, so you're not necessarily relegated to ordering from China - I happened to buy the last one from a seller that's in the KC area, not far from where I work...

But I also wouldn't be worried about ordering from China - especially this kind of item - I've had good luck with a number of similar orders.

Also found the same 12V LED strobes from a US seller for about the same price LINK
    Last edited by Marty Tippin; 03-22-2016 at 2:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Tippin View Post
    FYI - there are a few eBay sellers in the US that have the Banner QS18VN6D, so you're not necessarily relegated to ordering from China - I happened to buy the last one from a seller that's in the KC area, not far from where I work...

But I also wouldn't be worried about ordering from China - especially this kind of item - I've had good luck with a number of similar orders.
    Yep. The one I bought was from the US.

As suggested by Brian Hood I ordered one of the Tork TRP 24v relay/power supply from here (LINK) for $6 (Best Offer). Being that this unit outputs 150mA it should be enough to power the 120mA strobe, the 25mA sensor and a 7812 12v series voltage regulator to drop the output down from 24v to 12v. If the voltage regulator doesnt work my next options I think will be either finding a 24v strobe that draws 120mA or less, or maybe removing some LEDs from the 12v one (assuming they are wired in parallel) to lower the current draw from the strobe enough to give the voltage regulator more power to do its thing. We'll see how this goes when I have time to wire it all up. Only problem is I havent even attached the ducting to my dust collector yet and cant actually power it on until thats installed... Just wanted to get the ideas out here though in case any of you out there could use it for your own testing.

I can confirm that the $45 solution I bought on eBay works like a charm! Saved $100 over buying the Oneida system and have the exact same functionality.

All that's left to do is mount the sensor to the lid of my DC bin and mount the flashing LED light where I can see it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I can confirm that the $45 solution I bought on eBay works like a charm! Saved $100 over buying the Oneida system and have the exact same functionality.

All that's left to do is mount the sensor to the lid of my DC bin and mount the flashing LED light where I can see it.
    Glad to hear it Marty! Check out the DIY thread I did on the Oneida Realtime Filter Efficiency Gauge too! LINK A lot of money can be saved on that one too.

Any ideas on where to find a small, square project box with mounting flanges similar to the one Oneida uses? I've been looking on eBay and Amazon but haven't found anything suitable. Needs to be at least 3" square to mount the LED warning light - but I'm not finding anything that size or even close.

EDIT: I think this might be what they're using, but it won't work for the warning light I bought as it's not quite big enough: http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a...ion-box/1.html
    Last edited by Marty Tippin; 03-27-2016 at 2:06 PM.

Any ideas on where to find a small, square project box with mounting flanges similar to the one Oneida uses? I've been looking on eBay and Amazon but haven't found anything suitable. Needs to be at least 3" square to mount the LED warning light - but I'm not finding anything that size or even close.

EDIT: I think this might be what they're using, but it won't work for the warning light I bought as it's not quite big enough: http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a...ion-box/1.html
    I looked around a bit too but havent found the one theyre using either. That one you found looks close but yea too small. I figured I was going to wait and see what else I tie into this circuit before I pick an enclosure to make sure I get one that can house all the other stuff Im thinking about adding.

Maybe checkout Hammond: LINK

Their model 1590YFLBK looks nice if you want a metal enclosure. A bit pricey though at $20 not including shipping.
    Last edited by Ben Rivel; 03-27-2016 at 2:14 PM.

How do these sensor work??--what do the sensors "sense"?? My DC cyclone is in an attached shed with outside access and if I lose track of milling volume clean-up can be a PITA.

Quote Originally Posted by John C Bush View Post
    How do these sensor work??--what do the sensors "sense"?? My DC cyclone is in an attached shed with outside access and if I lose track of milling volume clean-up can be a PITA.

I have the same problem since my cyclone is outside in a shed. Until I installed this dust bin sensor, I had to continually check the dust bin. And since I had to open the dust bin to check, I ended up emptying it every time I checked.

The Banner infrared sensor detects if sawdust is within 18 inches from the top of the dust bin. The range is adjustable so it can be less than 18 inches.

See Model QS18VP6D at http://info.bannerengineering.com/cs...ture/63908.pdf

I bought the power supply, strobe and Banner sensor. The sensor came from China for $49 all in. I'm close to putting my Clearvue together and will incorporate this bin sensor system and a current sensing relay into the motors control circuit. Thanks for posting this!

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Wayne View Post
    I bought the power supply, strobe and Banner sensor. The sensor came from China for $49 all in. I'm close to putting my Clearvue together and will incorporate this bin sensor system and a current sensing relay into the motors control circuit. Thanks for posting this!
    Youre welcome!

Okay, so all the parts for my bin sensor have now arrived and I'll be starting to install it shortly. The Oneida installation instructions recommend installing the sensor on the bin lid between 3 and 6 inches from the dust entry hose. In my case, I have a 9" hose and 22" barrel so I'm limited to 6 inches away anyway. I'm thinking of going with 3". Any one have experience with the placement and recommend some other choice in the 0-6 inch range? Thanks.

How does the adjustable distance thing work? I see from Oneida's instructions that you turn a screw on the sensor, but what does the screw actually do?

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    How does the adjustable distance thing work? I see from Oneida's instructions that you turn a screw on the sensor, but what does the screw actually do?
    Since the datasheet for the Banner sensor doesnt give a schematic of the circuit inside the sensor we can only guess, but my assumption is it adjusts a potentiometer in the circuit that adjusts either the beam strength or the receivers sensitivity.