Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Thread: Building Your Own And Improving Upon The Oneida Dust Sentry Bin Level Sensor

Yeah, I couldn’t get all of that. I plan to settle for just the red light.

I'm going the simple route, light and sensor in one piece of equipment:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Allen View Post
    I'm going the simple route, light and sensor in one piece of equipment:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    So for that unit the indicator light is that little LED on the end of the barrel? I mean, I guess that would serve the function, but are you ever going to notice that?!
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Stuart, I had the same question as Ben. Also, not having mine set up yet, please let us know if the fine dust in the container gives this detector any problems, particularly when the bin is getting near full.

Got mine all setup........now to make some chips. Probably going to need to add another light or something. It's visible where I run my jointer and planer. Can't see it from the router table, which is probably the 3rd or 4th worst chip producer behind the table saw and a dado blade.

The flashing strobe is that bright at all.

Photo Jan 27, 6 16 33 PM.jpg
    If over thinking was an Olympic event, I'd win Gold every time!

Jim, your barrel setup looks a lot like mine. What did you use for a seal between the barrel and the cover groove?

Quote Originally Posted by Joe O'Leary View Post
    Jim, your barrel setup looks a lot like mine. What did you use for a seal between the barrel and the cover groove?
    Actually nothing other than a tight fit right now. Never really went back to see if I can detect any leaks.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Fox View Post
    Actually nothing other than a tight fit right now. Never really went back to see if I can detect any leaks.
    I would. I used incense sticks which worked well. I found a few leaks and fixed all except one at the top rear of the cyclone. Hard to see and get at.

Just throw a bit of silicone around the sensor. Thats how I did it and it sealed up perfectly.

I have discovered an issue with mine.....I'm thinking it's the way it is mounted. It's basically in a little pocket because of the thickness of the top. We using the drum sander it clogs up the pocket and gives false readings of full and it's not even close. Gonna try and make it flush so it can't fill it up with fine dust (or at least less of a chance).

My top is 3/4 mdf, so I'll have to mortise the rectangular portion of the sensor to get it flush.

12. So I am having issues with this. I got the Banner sensor (NPN version) and have it wired per the picture in the OP. However, when I plug it in to test, the strobe stays flashing regardless of the status of the sensor. I assume I set something up wrong, but I don’t have enough knowledge of electronics to even begin diagnosing. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Edit: I figured out my issue. I read the drawing for the NPN version of the sensor in the OP to mean the black wire on the strobe should be connected to both the black and blue wires from the sensor as well as the black wire from the power supply. I did a bit more thinking and realized the negative for the power supply should just be connected to the blue sensor wire and the black sensor wire should be connected to only the black strobe wire. Perhaps there should be an additional jump shown in the drawing?
    Last edited by Connor Gibbons; 07-04-2019 at 1:05 AM. Reason: Solved

Quote Originally Posted by Connor Gibbons View Post
    So I am having issues with this. I got the Banner sensor (NPN version) and have it wired per the picture in the OP. However, when I plug it in to test, the strobe stays flashing regardless of the status of the sensor. I assume I set something up wrong, but I don’t have enough knowledge of electronics to even begin diagnosing. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Edit: I figured out my issue. I read the drawing for the NPN version of the sensor in the OP to mean the black wire on the strobe should be connected to both the black and blue wires from the sensor as well as the black wire from the power supply. I did a bit more thinking and realized the negative for the power supply should just be connected to the blue sensor wire and the black sensor wire should be connected to only the black strobe wire. Perhaps there should be an additional jump shown in the drawing?
    Drawing should be correct. As shown on page two of the Banner sensors datasheet, both versions (PNP and NPN) have the blue wire grounded (Neg, -).

14. Ben, I just want to say thanks for posting the original information on the sensore. I love saving a $ and building it myself. Half the time, I want the solution to be somewhat different then the OOTB product, so this info was really handy for creating my custom setup. I use a VFD to power my 3ph blower motor. I use an arduino to monitor current via the Modbus interface on the VFD. When the current draw is lower than the nominal, I can increase the speed to the motor to increase vacuum. I'm still working out the code, but I will be adding the IR dust bin sensor as an input to the arduino and can tune the motor off when the bin is full.

Fun stuff...
    Last edited by Michael Strauss; 10-25-2019 at 10:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strauss View Post
    Ben, I just want to say thanks for posting the original information on the sensore. I love saving a $ and building it myself. Half the time, I want the solution to be somewhat different then the OOTB product, so this info was really handy for creating my custom setup. I use a VFD to power my 3ph blower motor. I use an arduino to monitor current via the Modbus interface on the VFD. When the current draw is lower than the nominal, I can increase the speed to the motor to increase vacuum. I'm still working out the code, but I will be adding the IR dust bin sensor as an input to the arduino and can tune the motor off when the bin is full.

Fun stuff...
    Nice! Thats takin it to the next level!