Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Building Your Own And Improving Upon The Oneida Dust Sentry Bin Level Sensor

Blog Entries
    Thanks Ben!
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

I love all of the electronic solutions, but since I don't need a crazy alarm, I just added a viewing window (with light) in my bin so I can see how full it it. Video (including some video from inside the bin) on my youtube channel
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZylOB5rZ_NQ&t=17s

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse Silver View Post
    I love all of the electronic solutions, but since I don't need a crazy alarm, I just added a viewing window (with light) in my bin so I can see how full it it. Video (including some video from inside the bin) on my youtube channel
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZylOB5rZ_NQ&t=17s
    While certainly an option, the main point of this thread was just to show how/what Onieda used in their setup and how to rebuild it for less money.

That said putting a window in the drum is great, though I'd imagine it wouldnt work as well if you like to use a bag in your drum for ease of discarding the dust once the bin is full. I really like that feature. Plus I like not having to walk to the dust collector, bending over to look in the bin and regularly check the bin when a simple light I can glance at from anywhere in the room can tell me what the status is.

That said the lit through method shown in that video does provide a bit of a between the two option and is certainly another route to go. Just seems to me if one is going to go through the process of running wire and a power supply, drill the holes for the lighting and the "window" and install the plastic to seal the viewing holes, why not just spend the extra few bucks and add the one more additional part (the IR sensor) and forget the window all together?
    Last edited by Ben Rivel; 01-19-2018 at 6:44 PM.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!