Thread: Building Your Own And Improving Upon The Oneida Dust Sentry Bin Level Sensor

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Post Building Your Own And Improving Upon The Oneida Dust Sentry Bin Level Sensor

Splitting this topic off of the original thread found here: LINK I put together a quick info dump on how to build the same dust bin sensor Oneida sells for $148 for quite a bit less than that. After doing so others have chimed in and we have begun what will probably become an improved design with more features. I decided this topic needed its own thread so we can add future discussion as this deign and topic grows.

First off, Oneidas design and parts list is as follows:

1. Banner QS18VP6D Sensor (LINK)
    2. 12V LED Strobe (LINK)
    3. 12 DC Power Supply (LINK)

This list was comprised from looking at Onieda's produt page (LINK) images and from information provided by those who own the Oneida Dust Bin Sensor. Thanks to Matthew Henderson we established that there was in fact nothing in the Oneida box and everything was wired up directly (LINK)

It is also known that there are two versions of the sensor that can be used, the QS18VP6D (PNP) or the QS18VN6D (NPN). They are both the same except for how they will be wired up.

For the PNP version (QS18VP6D):

Oneida Dust Bin Sensor.JPG

For the NPN version (QS18VN6D):

Oneida Dust Bin Sensor NPN.jpg

For the power supply a wall wart of at least 200mA is used. Pretty common, you probably have an old one laying around from a network/internet router or some other electronic do-hicky that no longer works. Just make sure its 12V DC.

The strobe they are using is this one I believe: LINK, if you use anything different either drive it with a relay (one which the contact driving part draws 100mA or less) or make sure whatever it is you use draws less than about 120mA.

All of the parts can be found on eBay. The strobe runs about $3.50, the power supply can be free if you have one or should be dirt cheap on eBay from China like this one: LINK. And the sensor (which ever one you go with) can be found on eBay for various prices. I was able to get mine for about $35, but I usually see them on there for around $45.

I will continue to add more to this post as this project develops and Im sure others will as well.

Currently there are ideas in the works about how to make the dust bin sensor automatically shut off the dust collector when the bin is full as well as powering the bin sensor from the dust collector power supply itself. It is also a good idea to check the original thread as a lot was discussed there regarding alternate designs and functionality. Im hoping we can move that info here as it unfolds.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 05-08-2020 at 12:51 PM. Reason: Replaced graphic
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!