Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Board feet- is this industry standard to add to the total?

I'm curious. Since you've used this supplier before, did previous pricing have the 7% added or was this the first time?
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

I lumber yard I go to also tacks on 7% to my final BF. It was a shock to me at first, but now I just add it on myself before checking out. I believe they told me it was for shrinkage as well.

I've had a mill pull the actual dimensions of S4S lumber, and then multiply by 1.2 or something, to calculate what the board footage was when the lumber was green. Then they applied their board-foot price to that. Apparently they really only thought in terms of roughsawn lumber.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cody Colston View Post
    I'm curious. Since you've used this supplier before, did previous pricing have the 7% added or was this the first time?
    Maybe something I said misled, but this is the first time I have used them. They are very familiar with shipping to the Caribbean, and knew exactly what to do with Tropical Shipping (the ocean carrier.) Maybe when I said that it made it sound like I have bought from them before. That said, I actually called them back and ordered four more boards because it won't cost me any extra to ship once bundled. I calculated the dimensional weight with a 42" wide pallet, but they are making a custom skid so it will be 10" narrower, giving me room to add to the bundle. :-)

The experience was overall very good. I said it earlier, but I believe this guy was kind of new and just miscommunicated on the "free delivery" being from the supplier to him, rather than from him to the shipping dock. No worries. I saved a lot of money from other places I price checked, and I get my wood quicker since he's in Florida.

Too bad the guy you worked with wasn't able to explain WHY there was a 7% charge added. He has not been properly trained and that is management's fault. Had he been able to explain this to you, the thread might not have existed but I think we've all been educated now.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.