Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Corel X8 Thoughts

Positive feedback: All opened spot on this morning, opened “normally” without the un-welcome scream, remembered recent files, dockers etc all correct. I have not had the font issues that Brian has had.

Lee, this version does seem to have been made with Win 10 in mind, perhaps not much else. I would not update to X8 from X6 or X7 if I had to pay extra for it and did not need it to keep up with clients. I am quite happy with X8 right now, but I was trapped into a CorelDraw subscription a while ago, so this has not “cost” me like it would paying cash for a new version as normal.

Kind regards, John
    Last edited by John Bion; 03-18-2016 at 8:34 AM.
    60w EFI 6090 & 100w Z4 Reci 6090 G Weike Lasers, 4 X 4 CNC Router
    CLTT using Oki C822dn & Adkins Press
    Glass Sandblasting, Woodwork Shop, etc...
    V Carve Pro v8 & Photo V Carve, Lasercut 5.3, Corel Draw 2017 on Windows 7 and iMac (via Parallels), etc

forced to upgrade from X5 to X8 and I have to say there are things that I don't like.
    Closing a drawing changed because they removed the closed button [X] from the drawing window. I keep hitting the [x] at the top but that closes
    the program. I use a custom page and set the rulers up in the customization page but it doesn't save it. New drawing, default rulers.
    When fitting text to a bottom curve, the letters overlap and jumbo up unless i set the spacing between letters to 60% or more. It use to work at 0% although I
    usually set it to 30% so it wouldn't be crowded. I'm sure there are other bugs but these are the ones I run into on a daily basis.
    Laser: ULS M300-50 watts, ULS X25-75 watt, Chinese 100 and 150 watt
    Software: Corel Draw, Corel PhotoPaint X8, Aspire, MasterCam, Fusion 360
    CNC: Rockler 60th Anniversary Edition CNC Shark, EZ-Route CNC
    Kingsley Hot Stamp machine
    "Out of my mind....Back in 5 minutes"

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas Silva View Post
    Closing a drawing changed because they removed the closed button [X] from the drawing window. I keep hitting the [x] at the top but that closes
    the program. I use a custom page and set the rulers up in the customization page but it doesn't save it. New drawing, default rulers.
    I've noticed both those things in X7, for all I know they occurred in X6 as well. The lack of a document-level 'close' button is indeed annoying, although I suppose I can add one to the default toolbar if I get burned by it often enough..

You can set the custom page configuration as default, but if that causes other problems, I believe you can specify your custom page layout in the 'new document' popup dialog. (Unless of course you inhibited that dialog in your workspace settings...)
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Do you guys not have the tabs at the top? I just click on the "X" in a particular file's tab to close it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    4 - Q1 converted New Hermes C2000's
    Signature 8080 Plus
    Universal 50w X2-600
    Universal 60w X-660
    Epilog 60w Fusion 40
    50w 5070 China Special

Can't you just hit close file under file or am I not understanding what you want to do?
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Leavitt View Post
    Do you guys not have the tabs at the top? I just click on the "X" in a particular file's tab to close it.
    Ah, got it...not yet used to using tabs in CD.

And unlike IE, the 'x' ('Close') icons on the tabs don't appear unless the cursor is directly over the tab.
    [EDIT]At least on my Win7 machine, may be a color-scheme thing.
    Last edited by Lee DeRaud; 03-29-2016 at 2:48 PM.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    Can't you just hit close file under file or am I not understanding what you want to do?
    That's what I've been doing, but the move-click-move-click is a lot less intuitive than the (previous) move-click on the document-close 'X'.

As Brian pointed out, they moved those to the tabs, but they're not visible until you go looking for them.

I finally got X8 working correctly, but it hasn't been easy and I don't know how long it will last. I'm still pretty much only using X7 for now.

I found a couple of fonts in my uninstalled fonts folder which were corrupted and that appeared to be what was freaking out Font Manager, and subsequently crashing Corel Font Service over and over.
    4 - Q1 converted New Hermes C2000's
    Signature 8080 Plus
    Universal 50w X2-600
    Universal 60w X-660
    Epilog 60w Fusion 40
    50w 5070 China Special

I just installed X8 and so far so good. It opens all my old files fine and actually seems a bit faster than X6. I have done nothing more than to setup the defaults but that all went exactly as it did in X6. If you have troubles with defaults and the program not "remembering" them, you have to go through either "tools-options" or "tools-customization" and make whatever changes you want to make - then you MUST click on "Save Settings As Default" or they will not stick! It's best to start Corel in a new drawing, make the changes, save as defaults, then close Corel without saving a drawing. The next time you go back into Corel the changes you made *should* still be there. In my experience not everything will stay, not sure why, but mostly everything does.

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    of course, but when you're moving between dozens of drawings per hour it is just less of a pain to simply click the close button - which
    btw I thought was an agreed standard from way back in the day when windows was created.
    Laser: ULS M300-50 watts, ULS X25-75 watt, Chinese 100 and 150 watt
    Software: Corel Draw, Corel PhotoPaint X8, Aspire, MasterCam, Fusion 360
    CNC: Rockler 60th Anniversary Edition CNC Shark, EZ-Route CNC
    Kingsley Hot Stamp machine
    "Out of my mind....Back in 5 minutes"