Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Corel X8 Thoughts

Corel X8 Thoughts

Does anyone see anything particularly revolutionary in CorelDraw X8?
    The Font filter looks useful.
    60w EFI 6090 & 100w Z4 Reci 6090 G Weike Lasers, 4 X 4 CNC Router
    CLTT using Oki C822dn & Adkins Press
    Glass Sandblasting, Woodwork Shop, etc...
    V Carve Pro v8 & Photo V Carve, Lasercut 5.3, Corel Draw 2017 on Windows 7 and iMac (via Parallels), etc

I have it, but so far I can't use it. Every time I attempt to open a file which was created in a previous version, the program locks up. I can create a file in X8, save it, and re-open it just fine, but opening "older" files doesn't work for me.

I do like being able to change the color scheme to "dark", which is what I prefer. Also, the new "Corel Font Manager" is better than using Bitstream to manage fonts, in my opinion. Other than that, there's not much new which is of any use to me.

I always get the new versions of Corel when they come out - mainly to be able to open newer Illustrator files, which is what most of my customers send for logos.
    4 - Q1 converted New Hermes C2000's
    Signature 8080 Plus
    Universal 50w X2-600
    Universal 60w X-660
    Epilog 60w Fusion 40
    50w 5070 China Special

I am having no problems (so far....) with opening previous files, but I do wish they would not change the “look” of icons just for the sake of it. Fonts system is a plus for me. It is a pity that it does not update with all your previous settings/preferences/macros etc “in tow” instead of having to re-do them.
    V Carve Pro v8 & Photo V Carve, Lasercut 5.3, Corel Draw 2017 on Windows 7 and iMac (via Parallels), etc

Quote Originally Posted by John Bion View Post
    It is a pity that it does not update with all your previous settings/preferences/macros etc “in tow” instead of having to re-do them.
    Agreed. I have to spend a half hour redoing everything every time I upgrade. I did get a file to open, but it took 5 minutes to load. I'm trying to open another file now. So far it's been "opening" for 23 minutes... I think I'm going to wipe the program out and re-install.
    Signature 8080 Plus
    Universal 50w X2-600
    Universal 60w X-660
    Epilog 60w Fusion 40
    50w 5070 China Special

Blog Entries
    John,

Just my personal take on a new version like this. Don't be on the bleeding edge. Let others find the problems and get them fixed before committing to it.

Hope all is well with you!!!!!

Dave
    900x600 80watt EFR Tube laser from Liaocheng Ray Fine Tech LTD. Also a 900x600 2.5kw spindle CNC from Ray Fine. And my main tool, a well used and loved Jet 1642 Woodlathe with an outboard toolrest that helps me work from 36 inch diameters down to reallllllly tiny stuff.

HI Dave, Thanks for those words of wisdom. I usually follow just that plan, but for some reason I jumped right in this time ...... although I must say that it seems fine so far I still have the X7 to fall back on if there is a problem.

All well here, thanks.

Kind Regards, John

Ok, opened X8 up this morning, and there are a few problems:

1) It thinks I am opening it up for the first time (wanting to give me a “tour” & there is no box to check to stop this happening again at start-up)
    2) It has forgotten most of the dockers etc that I had set up
    3) It has forgotten my “recent files”.
    4) It was taking ages even to bring up the menu to select a file to open

Not the best start. Dave Somers was right on this one (his comment above)

John
    Last edited by John Bion; 03-17-2016 at 9:25 AM. Reason: changed second point 3 to a point 4

1 is weird, however 2 and 3 happen with most new software versions, regardless of the software. New software typically installs into a new directory or a new sub directory under the old so it loose the dockers etc that you setup and and the most recent files. That's pretty normal. You might be able to reimport macros or other things that you had setup on the old version.
    Trotec Speedy 400 120w, Trotec Speedy 300 80w
    Thunderlaser Mars-130 with EFR 130w tube
    Signature Rotary Engravers (2)
    Epson F6070 Large Format Printer, Geo Knight Air Heat Presses (2)

Hi Keith, The problem here (3), which hopefully will not be the case tomorrow (vain thought), is that I set it all up yesterday with my dockers etc but it was back to square one this morning, as if it is a brand new install (as I think you were describing). I guess a bug Corel needs to clear up.
    Kind Regards, John

My X5 stopped working inexplicably with release of X8. Corel wouldn't help since it is 'obsolete'. So I was forced to purchase to upgrade
    to X8. so far I don't see anything different about it.
    Laser: ULS M300-50 watts, ULS X25-75 watt, Chinese 100 and 150 watt
    Software: Corel Draw, Corel PhotoPaint X8, Aspire, MasterCam, Fusion 360
    CNC: Rockler 60th Anniversary Edition CNC Shark, EZ-Route CNC
    Kingsley Hot Stamp machine
    "Out of my mind....Back in 5 minutes"

Nicolas

I don't understand your statement. I don't believe one thing had anything to do with the other. Mine is working as it always has.

BTW, way back it was said that odd numbered versions of Corel were always superior. I could never prove or disprove that but I have used odd versions since 11. I am a big fan of Corel as it has served me well for nearly 20 years.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Blog Entries
    John,

Regarding your problem with their welcome video firing up every time you load Corel.
    I don't have Corel 8, but in 7 that is controlled in the Tools menu, under options, then workspace, then general, then set "On Corel Startup" to "nothing" in the pull down box. Or to one of the other options listed there. Then hit OK at the bottom of the dialogue box.
    Like Keith said, I would expect problems 2 and 3 with a new version that isnt actually upgrading the old version. It is essentially a new install. If you have any plugins in X7 I expect you will need to acknowledge those in X8 as well before they are recognized.

The issue with slow loading of folders will probably resolve after the software has run a bit. Not sure if Corel uses the Windows folder system fully or if it creates its own catalogue of acceptable files. If the latter is true then it will take some time to go through all the files on the disk locating what is compatible and indexing it. After that it will speed up considerably. I think.......maybe??? <grin>
    900x600 80watt EFR Tube laser from Liaocheng Ray Fine Tech LTD. Also a 900x600 2.5kw spindle CNC from Ray Fine. And my main tool, a well used and loved Jet 1642 Woodlathe with an outboard toolrest that helps me work from 36 inch diameters down to reallllllly tiny stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by John Bion View Post
    Hi Keith, The problem here (3), which hopefully will not be the case tomorrow (vain thought), is that I set it all up yesterday with my dockers etc but it was back to square one this morning, as if it is a brand new install (as I think you were describing). I guess a bug Corel needs to clear up.
    Kind Regards, John
    Ahh! Now that is an issue!
    Trotec Speedy 400 120w, Trotec Speedy 300 80w
    Thunderlaser Mars-130 with EFR 130w tube
    Signature Rotary Engravers (2)
    Epson F6070 Large Format Printer, Geo Knight Air Heat Presses (2)

I wonder if Corel has gone to the Microsoft forced-update model, and the usual new-release bug-smashing is causing some of the delays and lost settings people are seeing.

Since I only upgraded to X7 (from X4) about four months ago, I have to admit the schadenfreude is kicking in pretty heavy about now...
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

I've figured out that my problem with opening files has to do with the "Corel Font Service". This service crashes non-stop, every time I open a Corel X8 program. If I restart the service while trying to load the file, the file will actually open. Then the Font Service crashes again. I created a .DMP file and sent it Corel Support. Hopefully they will have some insight into how to fix the problem. I've already tried to re-install the program and reset it to factory defaults, but no dice.
    Signature 8080 Plus
    Universal 50w X2-600
    Universal 60w X-660
    Epilog 60w Fusion 40
    50w 5070 China Special