Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: 2016 - new JET 1640EVS lathe

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Fort Pierce, Florida
    Posts
    3,497

    2016 - new JET 1640EVS lathe

    Just received the announcement of the Jet1640EVS. I was told two years ago that this was in the works. Only 1 1/2hp shown, but new castings, swivel and slide head with positive locking (indent and screw in as well as anti-rotate block underneath), positive spindle lock. Spindle has larger bore (5/8") and dual front bearings giving a longer nose for better access. Tool rest extension for access when head is rotated and available bed extension that comes with tool post extension when the bed is mounted low (34" turning capacity). The cage is now optional, so no paying for an option you never use.

    Speed range is about the same 40-3200 in two ranges 40-1200 and 120-3200, indexing is 36 position, weight is listed as 375# in the manual. Looks like it comes with two live centers. One like the old version and one like the smaller 1221. Also has a faceplate, wrench, and tool holder. No mention of price yet.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Fort Pierce, Florida
    Posts
    3,497
    The product page is here: http://www.jettools.com/us/en/p/jwl-...d-lathe/719500

    No connection to Jet I just own a few. Looks to be a nice refresh to the line, not too sure I'd call it an upgrade though.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

  3. #3
    Looks interesting also has me wondering if they will offer the existing 1640's at a discount or just retool them.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Lancaster PA USA
    Posts
    254
    If you follow the link to "Buy Online" they show Nevins Tools . COM as a dealer with it. Nevins price is $2499.99 for the lathe , $89.99 for the safety guard, $289.99 for the swing away, and $269.99 for the bed extension.
    I know the voices in my head aren't real but boy do they come up with some good ideas !
    People discuss my art and pretend to understand as if it were necessary to understand, when it's simply necessary to love. - Claude Monet

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Fort Pierce, Florida
    Posts
    3,497
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Myers View Post
    If you follow the link to "Buy Online" they show Nevins Tools . COM as a dealer with it. Nevins price is $2499.99 for the lathe , $89.99 for the safety guard, $289.99 for the swing away, and $269.99 for the bed extension.
    That link was added since I checked. I paid about the same for mine from JT Turning Tools, who made the original and may be supplying these. Since they also supply Robust with the vacuum chuck adapter I wonder if they worked something out for the hand wheel...
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    Posts
    402
    I saw it too. The only significant change to me seems the rotating headstock.

    I agree that it seems like more of a refresh than an upgrade.

    And continues with jet's horrible currently line of rough castings and terrible quality paint jobs. My 1221 is a chippy mess already and my older 1642 has better quality paint job.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    1,904
    It seems to be about 50# lighter than the old one IIRC...? Unfortunately rotating headstock are notorious for not aligning once rotated. Hopefully they have solved this issue that plagued the Jet 1442 (and other similar lathes) with a new design.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Fort Pierce, Florida
    Posts
    3,497
    The head rotates to set positions where a lock engages with a screw, this is very similar to how the indexing pin works. In addition there is a removable block on the bottom that keeps the head from rotating by fitting between the ways. Looks to be better, but time will tell.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

  9. #9
    I haven't had any luck finding a review of the Jet 1640EVS lathe. I'm ready to move up from my Jet 1221VS and I'm hoping that the new 1640EVS might go on sale around Father's Day, but I'd like to know what others think of it before I take the plunge.

    Have any of you even seen one of these lathes in person and if so, any impressions?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    1,563
    Blog Entries
    1
    Anyone planning to update I'd like to talk to you about possibly buying your old lathe, though I do understand that some (perhaps most) tend to keep their old machines as backup and such.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Jobe View Post
    Anyone planning to update I'd like to talk to you about possibly buying your old lathe, though I do understand that some (perhaps most) tend to keep their old machines as backup and such.
    I do intend to sell my old lathe, once I have the new one. I had planned to list it on either Craigslist or Ebay and arrange for local pickup because it would be very difficult to ship with its dedicated stand. The combined weight is over 200 pounds.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Arnold View Post
    I haven't had any luck finding a review of the Jet 1640EVS lathe. I'm ready to move up from my Jet 1221VS and I'm hoping that the new 1640EVS might go on sale around Father's Day, but I'd like to know what others think of it before I take the plunge.

    Have any of you even seen one of these lathes in person and if so, any impressions?
    Take a look at the Laguna Revo 1836 before you make a decision to get the Jet. I sold my 1642 and got the Laguna. Worlds apart in design and quality.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Take a look at the Laguna Revo 1836 before you make a decision to get the Jet. I sold my 1642 and got the Laguna. Worlds apart in design and quality.
    I appreciate the suggestion and I'll look into that one too. I see that they both sell for about the same price.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    "Brownsville", North Queensland, Australia.
    Posts
    289
    While it is commendable to see manufacturers refreshing their product lines, I'm not convinced that the wider industry is really making much progress with "safer designs."

    As with any design process there are tradeoffs in one area to accomodate other more desireable features and the complete omission of very desireable features purely to keep within price points or to maintain a market place competitive edge.

    The "E Drive Inverter features a built in EMI filter" is great but the placement of the motor high and outboard to accomodate the sliding headstock feature rules this unit out for any turners who have implanted electronic devices i.e. pacemakers, defibs, neuro stimmulators as the motor, while the turner is in a typical spindle turning or small bowl stance, is within the recommended minimum clearance distances to electric motors / electronic devices. One would hope that earlier designs do have an EMI filter incorporated.

    The fixed height stand with minimum or no design height adjustment is pretty average.

    However the most serious design issue is the placement of the controls and E-stop feature and the lack of a facility to place the controls wherever a turner feels they are most accessible to them. Its a serious omission imo, given that many turners are purchasing a lathe of this capacity to turn larger bowls, HF's and platters. Hopefully manufacturers will start to offer an accessory kit for a relocatable aux control.

    Or perhaps turners will see the safety advantages of relocatable controls and avoid designs similar to this unit.

    The Jet is typical of so many designs / models comming out of Asia.
    Last edited by Geoff Whaling; 05-29-2016 at 4:42 PM.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Forestville, CA
    Posts
    107
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Whaling View Post


    However the most serious design issue is the placement of the controls and E-stop feature and the lack of a facility to place the controls wherever a turner feels they are most accessible to them. Its a serious omission imo, given that many turners are purchasing a lathe of this capacity to turn larger bowls, HF's and platters. Hopefully manufacturers will start to offer an accessory kit for a relocatable aux control.

    Or perhaps turners will see the safety advantages of relocatable controls and avoid designs similar to this unit.

    The Jet is typical of so many designs / models comming out of Asia.
    It is inexpensive to add a switch in series with your laths' on/off switch. I used a Grizzly paddle switch in a Home Despot electrical box. Bolted to the back this magnet: http://www.amazon.com/CMS-Magnetics-...ilpage_o07_s00 This does improve safety.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •