Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Woodpeckers One Time Tool (OTT) - Track Saw Square

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rivel View Post
    Sure, but my comment was in response to a claim that Woodpeckers should be rewarded for their originality and the fact that they followed through and created the product. Lie Nielsen and Lee Valley arent rewarded for their originality, they are rewarded for their quality. Two different things. And no this is not to say that Woodpeckers isnt quality stuff, I own a bunch of it myself, this is again in response to the claim I mentioned above and nothing else.
    Ahhh. I understand, apologies. Although... In John's defense, he did say:

Quote Originally Posted by John Sanford View Post
    how much is rewarding someone else for their original inspiration and product development worth?
    Granted, I don't normally think of that as "rewarding" a company. Rather, understanding and accepting the R&D component of their pricing.
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty

Those are great points. Woodpecker could add an extrusion underside to allow the use of clamps.

I'm also not convinced this track square couldn't be easily bumped out of square with the mount only being a single square rod in the bottom slot. Seems an additional brace topside to the left of the rail would also help to lock it all in. It doesn't take much out of square for a cut to be off. I like this OTT but would rather make one with extra features to make it even more useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Nguyen View Post
    There are 2 problems with the way I use the Festool track saw with this OTT. 1st, the knobs may interfere with the floor when I cut sheet good on the floor on top of the foam and the 2nd is I can't clamp the track at the rear. I guess I just have to use their nice big framing square.

Quote Originally Posted by John Sanford View Post
    For those saying "well, it seems mighty pricey for what it is, I could just make one", this is true. The question I'd have for you is this: why haven't you made one before?

Perhaps because you didn't think of it? If so, how much is rewarding someone else for their original inspiration and product development worth?
    Hi John.
    It's as you said - I just never thought of it before. But their original inspiration and development isn't worth $100 to me. Not for something that easy to make, now that they've showed me their clever idea. I understand that YMMV.

Aside: See, I bought a couple of their 2" wide rules and a square last year. I just haven't seen enough value in any of them to justify what I paid. (And I LIKE nice tools - that's why I bought them.) No more WP for me.

Regards,
    Fred
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 03-15-2016 at 9:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by George Bokros View Post
    I am considering getting one also. My only reservation is have a EurekaZone tracksaw and they do not say if it fits that track. Thinking about calling them to discuss.
    EurekaZone has their own device for this application. I have one, and it works great.
    Last edited by Mark W Pugh; 03-15-2016 at 9:52 PM. Reason: added info/spelling

Dewalt makes a 90 degree and a variable degree one of their setup. I use the variable and it works fine.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Blog Entries
    I have exactly three Woodpeckers products, a router lift, a clamping square and a mini aluminum and SS marking square and I like them all. I looked at this newest offering, but decided that my no-cost piece of 24"x24" plywood (squared with the 5 cut method) with a bottom cleat works just fine for squaring up my Grizzly track saw, thank you.
    NOW you tell me...