Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adjustable mouth wooden plane identification

Adjustable mouth wooden plane identification

Few days ago a person gave me wooden hand plane. I noticed there is an option for the mouth to be adjusted depending on the needs.
    The blade is with chip breaker and says Erik Anton Berg. Its a Swedish manufacturer that was later bought by Sandvik and later by Bahco.
    But I cant find some info for the plane it self.
    s1.jpgs2.jpgs3.jpg

I don't think Berg made planes, just the irons. There were plenty of planemakers in Scandinavia who made the planes with Berg irons. Do you have a closup picture of the sticker?

The plane type is a standard German "Reformhobel", a smoothing plane with adjustable mouth and often a bedding angle of 49 degrees. This one looks like it was used a long way beyond light duty smoothing tasks!

I think it reads Johan Weiss & Sohn Wien. So it is a plane from Austria. Probably not the original blade?

It's definitely not a JPBO plane. Never seen a one (JPBO) with a horn and front part shaped like that.
    I think Kees is on the rigth track.

And just as a sidenote to the info in the link: The "P" in JPBO does in fact stand for Peter.

At the bottom of this page you'll find the same sticker. http://www.holzwerken.de/museum/hersteller/weiss.phtml

Thanks for solving the mistery
    Kees, what you mean by not the original blade?
    Could be nice to know the type of wood also.

It would be unusual for a large planemaking factory like Weiss to use someone elses irons. They sure would have liked their own logo. But Berg stuff is highly regarded today so you got something nice in exchange.

The wood? Probably just dirty beech with a flaking varnish?

Quote Originally Posted by Kees Heiden View Post
    The wood? Probably just dirty beech with a flaking varnish?
    That would be serious crime . I tried to adjust the mouth but couldn't. Dont want to use force.
    I will flatten the sole later, and see whats hiding beneath.

It could have a pockholz sole (lignum vitae). That was done often, especially with the smoothers. Do you see if the sole is a different kind of wood from the body?

I cannot but wonder how a plane got that dark and how it got that messed up patina! I'd recommend scraping it all off,expose fresh new wood that is under that crackly "patina"(I hesitate to call it "patina") and at least wax or shellac the surfaces-NOT the sole!

The horn has been broken off about half way down. I expect that a past owner was holding the plane upside down,and whacking the horn on a workbench(or a ROCK!),to adjust the blade. You can still use the shortened horn(It might be a job getting it loose to replace),but,at least,saw it off and sand it as little as possible to square it off again.

Don't worry about losing the decal. Most of it is gone anyway.

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg
    It must be some type of hardwood which is painfull to plane .
    The sole and the plane are from type of wood I never seen before.

The sole certainly looks like pockholz, lignum vitae, just like my Ulmia plane.

Definitely Lignum Vitae. I had a plane like that in the 60's. The body will either be beech or hornbeam.

Yes, definitely true Lignum. The top could be mahogany, which is unusual, but not a bad choice at all considering its low T/R ratio & overall movement. (MUCH better than Beech.) Heck, if you're dovetailing on a Lignum sole, might as well pick the body wood for stability.

The entire plane looks like an Ulmer to me. (Not "Ulmia." ) but who knows? Whoever made it, it's a nice little job and well worth fixing up.

Most of these, in my experience, were finished with shellac. However, maybe some previous owner varnished it, and hence "glued" the mouth tight.
    Maybe soak it in acetone to free it up? - or maybe just heat it in the oven first, and see if it will break free.
    Last edited by Allan Speers; 03-15-2016 at 6:12 PM.